Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Summer Idea

Kelli recently asked for ideas for summer that didn't leave her in the kitchen forever and didn't require her to be at stove or have the oven on. I guess it's warm in Ohio??? Right? Anyway, my idea is really simple - it's not even a recipe, it's an idea. Take a large roast and cook it on high for 6-8 hours (a three pound roast goes for around 6-7, a five pound roast takes 8). Season the roast with garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. Rub it in the roast. Pour beef broth (you can add some water, I use 2 can broth and the rest water) until it covers the roast 3/4 of the way - don't pour it on the roast or the seasoning will wash away. Cook in slow cooker and when done you can shred it. You can use this for BBQ sandwiches (the perfect summer food) or beef enchiladas. I used a three pound roast and it made sandwiches for 2 dinners and 2 pans of enchiladas. The enchilada recipe is below:

1 -2 lbs. Shredded beef
1-2 onions (depending on how much beef)
1-2 Taco Seasoning packets
1-2 cans mashed black beans, drained first

Cook together until onions are tender and the meat is heated through. Place in corn tortillas and roll up (I heat 3 to 4 tortillas on a plate in the microwave for 30 seconds so they bend easier and don't tear). Place each enchilada in a 9x13 pan and cover with enchilada sauce (green or red) and sprinkle with cheese. Cook at 350 for 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and everything is heated through. You can also freeze these (hello - perfect for those pregos out there!!) but don't put enchilada sauce or cheese on until you are ready to cook them. They cook for about an hour when frozen. I like these for summer because the sandwiches are easy and assembling the enchiladas takes 20 minutes max plus it makes enough for at least another dinner or two, depending on how much beef you use.

8 comments:

Kelli said...

One roast and 4 meals?! That would be great, roast is always on sale here. I love bbq roast sandwiches, anyone have a fave bbq sauce? Nothing too spicy! Maybe I'll make that and freeze some enchiladas for later. Thanks for responding to my post, keep the summer dishes coming!

Carissa Poyfair said...

I'm excited to have another freezer meal for this winter. And who doesn't love BBQ sandwiches?! I really like Sweet Baby Ray's sauce, but I love RJ's sauce from the restaurant in Kirtland but it isn't in stores.

Celeste Pearson said...

Sweet Baby Ray's is our favorite by far. Don't get the honey kind, the original is best. I mixed the beef with a cheap off brand so I didn't use a lot of the good stuff, and then squirted the good stuff on the actual sandwich.

Carissa Poyfair said...

Wait, so do you just mash the black beans in the can and then use them or do you use black refried beans?

Stina said...

Great idea. And, I never thought to mash my black beans. Definitely doing this recipe!

Denise said...

It is always good to have multiple recipes of some basics, thanks! I have never mashed black beans for enchiladas; I will have to give it a try.

Our favorite bbq sauce is sweet baby rays as well! That stuff is good and they sell it at Costco!

Celeste Pearson said...

Yes they do sell it at costco! We buy it in bulk. And yes Carissa, I just mash it in the can with a fork. It doesn't have to be perfect and they don't all get mashed. You can do refried black beans but they are usually more expensive and I like my beans with a little more chunk to them.

Kelli said...

So I finally made this, but with a pork roast instead of beef roast, and it was just as good. We used a 3-lb one and had enough for 2 pulled pork sandwich dinners and 2 enchilada dinners. I didn't freeze my 2nd enchilada dinner, just the filling, which made it easier so next time I just need to thaw and assemble. It was really good and even my picky-about-Mexican-food husband thought the enchiladas were pretty good.