Thursday, June 5, 2008

Cornmeal Bread

I got this recipe off allrecipes.com and it is so so good! It says on the website that it is perfect to make with soups and chilis, and since it is in the 50's here in Washington and raining, we are having my homemade chili tonight, and I made this bread to go with it. It tastes like a mix between white bread and corn muffins. And it is so easy to make with a Kitchenaid!! The bread is really good with butter and honey (or honey butter?) or whatever. Sorry if the directions seem condesending. I don't know how many of you bake bread so I wanted to make sure the directions were easy for anybody. Enjoy!
2 (.25 ounce) packages active dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water (110 degrees F to 115 degrees F) - I just guessed. Who really has a thermometer for this??
3/4 cup milk
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup butter or margarine, melted
1 egg
3/4 cup cornmeal
1 teaspoon salt
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (I added a little bit more because my dough was a little sticky)


(In parenthesis I will give Kitchenaid Mixer directions!)


In a mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add milk, sugar, butter, egg, cornmeal and salt. Beat in 1-1/2 cups flour until smooth. (Use paddle attachment) Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. (When it starts to have a hard time turning, switch to the dough hook attachment). Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. (Leave in the bowl and mix on medium-low to medium for 6-8 minutes with dough hook. I added a little more flour and kneaded it in by hand because my dough was a little sticky). Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes. (You know when your bread is ready to be punched down when you can stick two fingers in about an inch and the holes stay put). Punch dough down. Divide in half and shape into two loaves. Place in greased 8-in. x 4-in. x 2-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. Bake at 350 degrees F for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to cool on wire racks.

4 comments:

Kelli said...

Speak for yourself, Celeste! It's in the high 80s and super humid here...but oddly enough I still want to try this bread. I have all the ingredients except yeast, and I've never made bread before so this should be fun!

Carissa Poyfair said...

I'm still afraid to make bread. I never have enough time to spend on it and I know it will probably not work out at all! But I'll have to try this sometime when it's not so stinking hot here so I won't mind keeping my oven on or anything. You are so brave to try bread!

Stina said...

Look what happens when Celeste is given some yeast--Betty Crocker! Way to go! And, I bet these aren't as crumbly as normal corn bread!

Celeste Pearson said...

There is a misconception that bread takes all day to make! Mixing the ingredients in the kitchenaid (which I know you have Carissa!) took like 10 minutes and then you let it rise - so you have like an hour to do whatever you want. Then you take like two minutes to punch it down and separate it, then you let it rise while you do whatever else - watch TV, clean, nap. Then you let it bake - while doing something else!!!