Thursday, June 12, 2008

Rice Pudding


This is one of my all time favorite foods. Everytime I make rice for dinner I try to make extra so I can make this the next morning. We usuallt eat it hot for breakfast then put it in the fridge and eat it cold the rest of the day. My kids and I each get a spoon and just eat it out of the bowl.
I never add raisins. I think it ruins the flavor. But if you love raisins then give it a try!

Rice Pudding

3 eggs
2 c. milk
2 c. cooked rice
½ c. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. cinnamon
Raisins (optional)

Whisk together eggs and milk in a medium saucepan. Turn heat on to medium and add rice, sugar, vanilla, salt, and cinnamon. Whisk continually until mixture comes to a boil. Add raisins, if desired, and continue to boil and whisk for one minute. Remove from heat and let sit until thick. Serve warm or cold.

5 comments:

Carissa Poyfair said...

I do not like rice pudding at all (it's a texture thing) but my husband LOVES it. We just bought those Jello snack packs of it. I'll definitely have to make this for him one day when I make rice. Thanks!

Stina said...

I will definitely give this a try! I've always wanted to try it, and the recipe I had never let it turn out. Does it turn out like a pudding consistency?

Kelli said...

I've never tried rice pudding, but I always have leftover rice, and nicely enough this recipe calls for ingredients I always have on hand, so it won't be that hard to try it out...except I always use brown rice, which I can imagine isn't exactly the rice you meant right? Should I try just plain white rice? Sticky or minute rice, which is better?

Kristi Adams said...

I've never tried it with brown rice but I think it would be good. I always use just plain old long grain white rice. I really think any rice would be fine. And it does end up the consistancy of pudding. The only thing that makes this recipe gross is if you don't whisk your eggs really well and you end up with chunks of cooked egg in your pudding.

Stina said...

Kristi has made this for me before and I love it! I finally made it on my own and I have to say--it is super easy and very yummy! I've tried to make my own from different recipes where you bake it and they do not turn out. This one does and I love that it's all stove top. Thanks again, Kristi!