Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Banana Bread Pancakes

So last night Jeremiah decided he wasn't hungry for dinner, so I jumped on the chance to make pancakes (he's anti-breakfast foods for dinner). I didn't want plain pancakes, and we had some bananas that were getting really ripe, so I threw some ingredients together and made pancakes that included banana bread ingredients. Enjoy!

3 cups plain pancake mix (I used the generic brand)
2-2 1/4 cups water
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
2-3 ripe bananas, mashed but with some chunks
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
Butter or margarine
Walnuts, maple syrup for topping

Mix pancake mix and water together, adding water slowly to desired thickness (I like mine thick and didn't use exactly 2 1/4 cups). Whisk in brown sugar, bananas, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Melt 1/2 Tbsp in a large skillet set over medium-high heat. Pour about 1/4 cup of pancake mixture into skillet, turning when the pancakes are bubbly on top and golden brown on bottom, about 2 minutes. Cook for another minute on the other side. Repeat with butter and make more pancakes. The butter keeps the pancakes from sticking and gives them a nice golden crust on the outside. Top with homemade syrup (recipe follows) and chopped walnuts.

Homemade Maple Syrup

4 cups sugar
2 cups water
1 tsp Mapeline or maple extract

Boil water and sugar until sugar dissolves. Add maple extract. Remove from heat. Do not overcook or it will crystalize. I store my syrup in an empty store-bought syrup bottle.

5 comments:

Carissa Poyfair said...

So did you make this up on your own? Were they delicious? Because they sound sooo good! You are totally making these for Christmas Day breakfast for the whole fam!

Kelli said...

Yeah I made the recipe up, didn't I say that in the blog? And of course they were good or I wouldn't have posted it. I didn't use walnuts because we didn't have any, but some toasted walnuts would have added a great crunch. You could also add chopped bananas as a topping.

Stina said...

Way to go creating your own recipe!! I'm excited to try them.

Stina said...

So, I made these for conference breakfast and they were so good! Of course, I added chocolate chips (a food group in our home). I'm impressed, Kelli!

Stina said...

I've made these twice recently and have to say again, how awesome they are! I definitely am buying walnuts for the next time I make them. And, they make my whole house smell good!