Saturday, October 27, 2007

Dutch Apple Pie

I know everyone makes apple crisp or buys apple pie or makes it or whatever, but give this one a chance. It's a Dutch recipe which means the crust is sweet and like a cookie instead of a bland pastry (no offense). It's very easy and my favorite. In fact, I don't eat apple pie besides this one. No others compare. (And, I made it for the Hjelms one time for Christmas, but used a spring pan--at the time I had no idea what the spring pan was for and thought I'd give it a try--anyway, I am nervous how that one turned out. Don't judge me for that one, try just one more time!!!)

Appeltaart
Ina Robertson

Crust
1-2/3 cup flour 2/3 cup butter

1/2 cup sugar 1 egg

Filling
4 sour apples 1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup raisins 1/2 tsp cinnamon

Beat egg, save half. Mix 1/2 egg with flour, margarine and sugar. Knead mixture till it is of even texture. Make a ball out of it. Use half the ball to line (bottom and sides) a 9" pie pan (can be deep dish). Peel apples and remove core. Slice thinly. Mix apples with raisins, sugar and cinnamon. Put mixture in pie pan. Make strips out of the remainder of the dough. Put criss-cross across the pie and attach to the dough on the sides. Brush the remaining egg on the dough strips. Bake in 300 F oven for 1-1/2 hour. If the crust gets brown too fast, lower temperature. Pie is done when crust is golden

3 comments:

Carissa Poyfair said...

What would count as a "sour" apple? This looks like fun, and it doesn't look hard (I say that, but then I'll be covered in dough with tears in my eyes when I can't get it right!). I've never made an apple pie. I'm excited! P.S. Can I leave out the raisins?

Stina said...

Sour apples are granny smith, or whatever green apples. And please leave out the raisins--I do!

Denise said...

This sounds good. I am with Carissa and Stina, I might leave the raisins out. Thanks for a good pie recipe!