Thursday, October 25, 2007

Peas & Mushroom Alfredo

This recipe comes from a dear friend, Sara Evans (and my Good Housekeeping magazine). It's very easy and includes my favorite (and Jordyn's) fried mushrooms! I've always bought jarred spaghetti sauce, but always tried to make alfredo homemade--what was I thinking?

1 box (1 lb) fettuccine
2 Tbsp olive oil (I use butter--love the taste when frying mushrooms)
1 pkg sliced mushrooms
1 jar (15-16 oz) alfredo sauce
1 pkg (10 oz) frozen peas
1-2 cups grated romano cheese (I used an Italian blend cause I couldn't find it)

Cook fettuccine and while it's cooking saute mushrooms in olive oil until juices evaporate and mushrooms are lightly browned. Add alfredo sauce and peas to mushrooms. Heat through. Add 1 cup Romano cheese; stir to combine.

Drain fettuccine. In a large mixing bowl, toss fettuccine and aflredo-sauce mixture. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot with remaining Romano. Yield: 6 servings.

Also, I added some fried chicken on top. I coat chicken breast with flour and season with garlic powder, Italian seasoning, and seasoned salt. Then fry in butter for about 7 minutes on both sides until no longer pink in the center!

And, you can definitely serve this with a side salad or roasted vegetables. Put sliced zucchini, tomatoes, green pepper, onions, etc on a broiler pan and broil for about 7 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. I tried this with asparagus (thanks to Real Simple magazine). You put asparagus on a baking sheet and drizzle olive oil, season with salt and pepper and broil for 12-15 minutes. Really yummy!!!

4 comments:

Denise said...

Yum, can't wait to try this. I even have a jar of alfredo sauce in the pantry! I am like you though, I usually make my own(very fattening)alfredo sauce. Spaghetti sauce seems a lot harder to make, so I buy jars!

I LOVE asparagus with olive oil and salt and pepper! If I have fresh lemons I squeeze some lemon juice on them and they are so good!

Carissa Poyfair said...

Could I substitute something else for the mushrooms? I don't like them, but Adam does, so I could make one kind for me and the kids and Adam can have his own. Do you think zucchini or asparagus spears would work too?

Stina said...

You don't like fried mushrooms??? What's wrong with you? Just kidding. Brent isn't a fan either, and the alfredo sauce and cheese neutralized the mushroom taste a lot. I say do whatever you want with it. I bet it would turn out great whatever you use. Just be sure to let me know so that I can do it next time I make it too!

PS. When I roasted the asparagus--was I supposed to only do the spears--meaning cut the ends off? Cause the ends were crunchy and the spears weren't so much. Just wondering if I missed something that everyone else already knows.

Carissa Poyfair said...

You always cut the ends off about 2 inches from the bottom. You can take an asparagus spear, hold one end in each hand, and bend it in half. It will usually snap where the tough ends are and leave you with the softer edible part. Or you can just cut about 2-3 inches up from the bottom if you want. I usually bend and break each individual one though.