Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Mexican Meatloaf

This is REALLY good. I got the recipe out of a cooking magazine, and I was skeptical but meatloaf is a cheap meal and I was looking for an alternative. Even Jeremiah, who isn't a huge meatloaf fan, said it was a keeper!!!

1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
3 shallots, minced (don't substitute onions!)
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1 lb. ground beef (80% to 85% lean)
4 (6-inch) corn tortillas, finely chopped
3/4 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend, divided
1/2 cup purchased salsa
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground oregano (I used Italian blend because I didn't have oregano)
1 teaspoon salt

1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Cook bell pepper, shallots, and garlic in oil in medium skillet over medium heat 6 minutes or until tender. Cool.

2. Gently combine bell pepper mixture and all remaining ingredients except 1/4 cup cheese in a large bowl. Place in 8x4-inch loaf pan; bake 55 to 60 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 160 degrees. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup cheese during last 5 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing.

The recipe suggests topping with sour cream and additional salsa, but we didn't add anything. I just added about 1/2 cup cheese on top during the last 5 minutes, not just 1/4 cup. Even the kids wolfed it down and Hayden asked for more.

2 comments:

Carissa Poyfair said...

Yeah! I've been looking for a new meatloaf recipe. I think they make great Sunday meals since they are easy to prepare and feed us for at least 2 night. Thanks!

Stina said...

I'm very excited to try this. We are definitely fans of meatloaf. I love spins on traditional meals! I'll let you know when I try it!