Friday, October 26, 2007

The Best Ever Chocolate Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Filling

Most of you that know me know that I am not a cake and ice cream person. I have my moments of glory, but most of the time I don't want cake or ice cream (let's just say birthday parties at my house involve lots of food because I don't like the birthday party staples of cake and ice cream and a girl has to eat something at a party!). Anyway, my friend Kendra makes these awesome cupcakes and they gave us some when we helped her husband with car issues. Now, remember how much I don't like cake? Well, now I crave it. Those cupcakes are sooooo delicious and I could eat them all day. And now I am sharing the recipe. Am I the coolest or what?

1 box chocolate cake mix- Mix the batter as stated on the box, however do it in this order:
*Eggs- beat until frothy and light yellow
*Add water and oil and ONE HALF (1/2) large box of chocolate cook n' serve pudding mix
*Then add the chocolate cake mix and a small amount of vanilla (around 1/2 tsp or so)

Cream Cheese Filling:
1 8oz brick cream cheese
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1/2 to 1 tsp vanilla
mini chocolate chips (optional)
*Mix all ingredients, adding as many (or none) chocolate chips as desired

Spoon cupcake batter into paper cupcake liners as usual, adding about one teaspoon of cream cheese batter in the centers. Spoon a tiny amount of batter on top of cream cheese, although it's okay if the cream cheese is still showing.

Bake according to your cake mix box instructions, although my friend said hers were supposed to go in 18-22 minutes and she took them out at 13-15 minutes. You want the toothpick to come out almost clean. Frost with whatever frosting you want and top with sprinkles. My friend used a pink frosting and piped it on with a jagged point, then added some pink crystal/glittery type sprinkles on top, and put a small silver edible ball in the very center. They were way elegant and yummy!

* Celeste made these recently and loved them. She said that you should only fill the cupcake liners up about halfway, then add the cream cheese filling, and then spoon some more batter on top of the cream cheese. If you fill the cupcake liners up too much to begin with, the cupcakes will be a little too big, plus you can make more cupcakes if you use less batter for each liner. She also said there was leftover filling so put more than a teaspoon, maybe 2 tsp or something? She said the cupcakes with more filling were better than those with less. Of course- it's cream cheese! It makes everything taste better!

4 comments:

Stina said...

Of course you love this recipe--it has cream cheese filling. When do you (or any of us) not crave something with cream cheese in it??? I'm definitely going to try these!

Kelli said...

So maybe you should practice this recipe next weekend? I'm sure you can find some suitable people to be your official taste testers =) And I'm sure Celeste will agree that these would be perfect for the holidays =)

Denise said...

These sound great!! I need an excuse to make these. I don't have the self control to have them in my house too long! Well, they would not be in the house that long and that is the problem! I LOVE anything with cream cheese!

Stina said...

So, I made these for my Beehives and they were very very yummy. Very soft and moist and light. I loved them! I have a recipe for chocolate cake that calls for pudding, but it's denser. I like the cooking one.