Thursday, June 21, 2007

Satay Chicken with Peanut Sauce

I absolutely fell in love with this little Thai restaurant over by BYU (Thai Ruby) and I've been searching for a satay chicken and peanut sauce recipe that can compete with theirs. This peanut sauce recipe is very close to theirs but the satay chicken is different. Still good though!! And to think, I found it my very own Betty Crocker's Cookbook! Warning: You have to love Thai food to appreciate the peanut sauce...I put it on everything!!

* If you use bamboo skewers, soak in water for 30 min. before use so they don't catch fire!!

Satay Chicken

3 Tbls. lime juice
1 tsp. curry powder
2 tsp. honey
1/2 tsp. ground corriander
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/8 tsp. salt
2 cloves garlic chopped
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
cut into 1 inch cubes

Mix all ingredients except chicken. Place chicken in a bowl with a lid and pour marinade over. Stir or shake to coat. Cover and refrigerate 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
Set oven to broil. Thread chicken on skewers and place on cookie sheet that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Broil for 4 min. Brush with marinade and turn. Broil for 4-5 min. longeror until no longer pink.


Peanut Sauce

2/3 c. vanilla yogurt
1/4 c. creamy peanut butter
1/4 c. coconut milk
1 Tbls. soy sauce

Beat with a wire whisk and serve with satay chicken.

6 comments:

Stina said...

Aren't you glad I introduced you to satay? Brings me back to my childhood--only the Dutch Indonesian version, not Thai. Yum! And I love the peanut sauce. It's so good.

Carissa Poyfair said...

Where do you find coconut milk?

Stina said...

I have two different recipes for the peanut sauce, although they're not as easy. This one doesn't call for coconut milk, and is actually a martha stewart recipe...in case anyone is interested. And, Kristi introduced me to dipping sticky rice in it.

2 tsps canola oil
1 garlic clove, minced
¼ cup reduced-sodium canned vegetable broth or water
¼ cup smooth peanut butter
½ tsp ketchup
¼ tsp rice vinegar
1 tsp soy sauce

Heat canola oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic, cook stirring, until soft—3 minutes. Add broth and ¼ cup water; bring to boil. Remove from heat; whisk in peanut butter, ketchup, vinegar, and soy sauce. Let cool completely.

Kelli said...

Carissa, you can probably find coconut milk in the ethnic aisle, with Mexican or Asian foods. I've seen it there before, but I don't remember which ethnicity it would fall under =)

Kristi Adams said...

Coconut milk can be found next to the Chinese food. It comes in a can.

Kristi Adams said...

Yes, Christina, satay chincken has changed my life! When are we going to Thai Ruby again?!