Monday, June 11, 2007

The NEW Seven Layer Dip

Okay, so I love regular 7 layer dip - I could eat the whole plate myself, but this 7 layer dip is a little different and Bryan loves it. I saw Rachael Ray make it on TV, and then my sister-in-law Lindsay made it one time and we loved it! It may seem like a lot of ingredients, but some of them you may already have (like the beans) and most are cheap (like the green onions, cilantro, and the salsa). It is so worth it!

1 15-oz can refried beans
2 T hot sauce (it just flavors the refried beans, you can skip it if you want)
Olive Oil
4 green onions, chopped into 1 inch pieces
1 16 to 18 oz jar of green chili or tomatillo salsa (this salsa is really good and not spicy)
2 T chopped fresh cilantro (you can estimate the amount)
1 15-oz can black beans
2 tsp ground cumin
1 16 to 18 oz jar chipotle salsa (I don't use chipotle salsa because I don't like it - use whatever tomato based salsa is your favorite)
2 cups sour cream (I add more because everything is better with sour cream!)
Zest and juice of one lime
2 cups guacamole (I love the Trader Joes's brand)
1 Tomato for garnishment

Heat the refried beans over medium heat with hot sauce. Transfer to a small deep casserole dish. Add olive oil to another pan over high heat until it smokes. Add green onions and sear 2 to 3 minutes. Add green salsa to green onions and heat through. Stir in cilantro and layer the mix on top of the beans. In same pan, with heat lowered to medium, add black beans and season with cumin (you can use taco seasoning if you don't have cumin, but it will taste a little different). Layer on top of green salsa mix. Top black beans with tomato salsa. Mix the sour cream with the lime zest and juice. Spread over tomato salsa. Spoon guacamole on top of sour cream. Garnish with tomatos and serve with tortilla chips!

5 comments:

Kelli said...

What? Cilantro?! Yuck! =) But the rest sounds great. I don't remember the last time I made 7-layer dip, I'll have to make this one instead.

Carissa Poyfair said...

Hey! I am totally making this for my cooking club tomorrow! I was trying to find something to make that was a little different, but something I would take to a BBQ. Thanks! And I probably won't add cilantro either, but oh well.

Celeste Pearson said...

There isn't enough cilantro to really taste it - it's more in the background - but you don't have to add it. My dip will just be better than yours!! :)

Stina said...

This sounds really really good. How did your Peanut Butter brownies turn out?

Celeste Pearson said...

Don't do the PB brownies! The PB got really dry so I need to play around with it and try something else, maybe add cream cheese to the PB first or something. I'll let you know!