Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Penne with Grilled Chicken, Gorgonzola, Asparagus, and Carmelized Onions

Ok so this really should be Carissa's recipe, since she posted it on her blog, but I made it first and I thought it was fantastic (with a few minor adjustments)!!! I used broccoli in place of the asparagus (you could use spinach or another veggie) - I just boiled it for about 2 minutes first so it was a little more cooked. I also only added 1 cup chicken broth, because otherwise the sauce would be too thin. Also, you could use fettuccini noodles instead of the penne. Finally - I like gorgonzola, but even if you don't think you will, it really makes the sauce creamy and adds a nice cheese taste to the dish but it is definately not overpowering at all. Trust me! This is an amazing dish. Thanks for sharing Carissa!!!


2 cups penne pasta, uncooked
2 tsp. olive oil
1/2 cup thin onion slices, separated into rings (I cut the rings in half)
1 tsp. sugar
1-1/2 cups chopped plum tomatoes
2 cups cut-up grilled chicken (1-inch pieces)
1-1/2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup diagonally cut asparagus spears (1-inch pieces)
1/4 cup whipping cream
4 tsp. minced fresh garlic
1 pkg. (4 oz.) ATHENOS Crumbled Gorgonzola Cheese
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves

COOK pasta as directed on package.

MEANWHILE, heat oil in small skillet on medium heat. Add onions and sugar; cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes or until onions are tender and starting to caramelize. Remove from heat; set aside.

DRAIN and rinse pasta. Place in large skillet. Add tomatoes; cook on medium heat 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Add chicken, broth, asparagus, cream and garlic; mix well. Cook and stir 5 minutes or until sauce is slightly thickened. Add onions, cheese and basil; mix well. Cook 2 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally.

3 comments:

Celeste Pearson said...

Hey! I'm glad you tried this because I printed it off of Carissa's blog and am going to make it for Dad and Bryan on Sunday for Father's day. I'm keeping the asparagus except for Bryan, who will get broccoli or peas with it. I'll try the gorgonzola and let you know if I like it!

Carissa Poyfair said...

You're welcome, recipe stealer :)

Carissa Poyfair said...

I made this last night and it was really good! I used chicken cutlets and they cooked in like 4 minutes, and the gorgonzola melted in so you could taste the tang of it but it wasn't overpowering at all. Adam and my neighbor loved it!