Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Orange Ice

This is a family recipe from my great-grandma Madsen. She got the recipe from her neighbor and I've eaten it every summer growing up since I can remember. Whenever I watch Little Women and Jo is eating slush at the dance with Laurie, it makes me think of it. I'm not sure why, but it's so refreshing and just delicious.

I remember I made it in college once at the Riv. And the weekend I almost broke up with Todd, I hung out with Carissa, and Kelli. And we sat on my balcony eating the slush until we went to find the glowing red grave. So if for no other reason, make it for breaking up with jerks named Todd! (Right Celeste?)

And for the record, it makes a lot. Enough to fill an icecream bucket. If you want to halve it or quarter it, go for it!

Orange Ice
(Carolyn Robertson)

4 cups sugar
8 cups water
4 cups orange juice
1 ½ cup lemon juice

Boil sugar and water 5 minutes. Add orange and lemon juice. While freezing, break up continuously. (Otherwise, when it'll be a giant icecube. And then you can just scrape it to serve.)

3 comments:

Kelli said...

Hey I remember the glowing grave! I'll totally make this, Jage's mom makes a lemon slush, but she puts in lemon rind and I don't like eating the rind. I'm totally going to go for the orange!

Kristi Adams said...

HAve I had this at your house before? I think I remember it. It sounds so fresh and summer-y! Can't wait to make it!!

Carissa Poyfair said...

I obviously need to watch Little Women again because I have no idea what scene you are talking about!