Saturday, June 16, 2007

Fresh Strawberry Pie

1 quart strawberries (set aside 1 cup for another use)
3/4 cup water
1 cup sugar
3 TBS corn starch
1 tsp. lemon juice
2 1/2 TBS. strawberry jello

Wash and drain berries. Crush the 1 cup of berries for the glaze. (I usually use a fork to mash them) Simmer crushed berries and water for 3-4 minutes. In another bowl combine sugar, cornstarch and jello. Add to cooked fruit and cook until it is thick (like jelly) and it is clear. (When you first combine them all it is a cloudy red color, cook until it is a clear red color.) Add lemon juice, set aside to cool slightly. Slice remaining berries into baked pie shell. Pour glaze over berries in pie shell. Chill overnight and serve with whipped cream.


NOW, you need to know that it took me 3 or 4 times to really get this down. The hardest part is not burning the gelatin, and also not under cooking it. If you over cook it, it is hard as rock when it sets up. Under cooked, it still tastes great but will be basically liquid with strawberries. (still edible though!) Good luck!

4 comments:

Stina said...

Yeah Destiny! I'm so glad you're blogging! And I'm very excited about all your yummy yummy desserts! Especially strawberry pie. YUM!

(PS. No one look that I am posting at 9 on a Saturday night, I needed some help from Ikea and thought I'd look at the recipes....)

Denise said...

Yummy. I am a little intimadated to try this. I think I will try to make it on Monday. We were invite to a b-b-q on tuesday and it sounds perfect for that!!

Kristi Adams said...

There is nothing better than fresh strawberry pie on the Fourth of July!! I am so trying this one!!

Destiny Rayburn said...

it is intimitading. i thought, oh this has been in my family for years, i can totally pull it off, (as i've been able to with all our family recipies...) but i couldn't. however! i figured out that i had been adding 2 1/2 TEASPOONS in stead of TABLESPOONS of the strawberry jello. really now. i do know how to cook. i'll give it a whirl the right way. i'll let you all know how it goes.