Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Cafe Rio Salad with Chicken

My sister-in-law made these the other day and, I must say, they were just as good as Cafe Rio. The dressing recipe is the same as the other Cafe Rio Salad recipe that was posted but the rest is different. She also used the tortillas from Costco that are uncooked and she just cooked them on her electric skillet. YUMMM!!!!! Try it!!!!


Ingredients:

Sweet Chicken

1 cup br. sugar
1 cup salsa
5 lbs. chicken

Cook chicken and spices in Crock pot for 4 hours, then shred chicken and cook for one more hour. Yes it is worth the wait.

Cilantro Rice

5 cups H2O
3 cups Rice
4 tsp chicken broth
4 tsp minced garlic
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 bunch cilanto, chopped
1T butter
1/2 onion
Put all ingredients in pot and cook like regular rice. Next time I am going to try it in the rice cooker. This makes your kitchen smell oh so delightful.

Cilantro Dressing

1 buttermilk ranch packet
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 bunch cilantro
1 cup mayo
2 tomatillos
1 clove of garlic
1 jalapeno
Juice of one lime
Blend all ingredients in a blender and chill.

Layer in this order:

Tortilla
rice
black beans
torn lettuce
chicken
dressing
fried tortilla strips

7 comments:

Celeste Pearson said...

Ha! I am so glad that you posted this because I have been cursing Stina's name for mentioning Cafe Rio (I miss it so much!) and now I can make it myself at home. I will let you know how it works out!

Carissa Poyfair said...

5 lbs of chicken? How many chicken breasts from Costco is that? My crock pot isn't that big, would it be okay to halve the recipe? I hope it still works out because this sounds so easy. And Kelli, I have a recipe for tomatillo dressing that you can use that doesn't use cilantro! Thanks Kristi!

Kristi Adams said...

My sister-in-law said she only used 4 chicken breasts but kept the amount of sauce and every thing else the same. I'm going to try it using a whole chicken because they're cheaper. She also said to half the rice recipe unless you want to feed the whole trailer court.:) Good luck!!

Stina said...

What are tomatillos and where do you get them?

Kelli said...

Tomatillos are like little green tomatoes. I've seen them at Target right in front of the tomatoes. They look like tomatoes but flatter and wider.

Kristi Adams said...

I found the tomatillos at Macey's next to the jalapenos in the refridgerated section of the produce. They come wrapped in brown paper-y stuff.

Stina said...

How much is a bunch of cilantro??