Sunday, June 17, 2007

Homemade waffles

I know what you are thinking, why make the batter when the store bought batters are cheap and taste good. You have to try this recipe, I love it!!!! I will never buy store bought waffle batter ever again. They really impress family or company as well! Enjoy

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 egg
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
2 tablespoons butter, softened
2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
1/2 cup half and half
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup buttermilk
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

Combine flour, salt, and baking soda in a medium bowl. Stir to combine

Lightly beat the egg in another medium bowl. Add the sugar, butter, and shortening and mix well with an electric mixer until smooth. Add the half and half, milk, buttermilk, and vanilla. Mix well.

Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture while beating. Mix only briefly so the waffles are not tough. It will be a little lumpy.

Cover and chill overnight. You can use right away, although it really is better if chilled overnight.

Remove batter from fridge while waffle iron is heating up. Grease the waffle iron. Spoon 1/3 to 1/2 cup of batter into the waffle iron and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.

Makes 6 waffles

6 comments:

Carissa Poyfair said...

I am totally trying this recipe. I don't usually make waffles but you sure as heck made them sound good!

Stina said...

I make homemade waffles all the time, but it's not a to-die-for recipe. Thanks, Denise! Waffles are my favorite!!!

Kristi Adams said...

I've been making the same homemade waffle recipe my mom taught me for so long I am definitely ready to try a new one! Thanks!!

Stina said...

I made these last night for dinner and they're so good! They're sweet and soft, but crisp up as they cool. I really loved this recipe. Although, I didn't have half and half on hand, so I subbed it with evaporated milk...

Stina said...

I made these again this morning. These are honestly the best best best waffles. If you haven't tried them yet, you should!

Stina said...

I have to make another comment about the waffles. I made these awhile ago when Kristi came over for lunch. She introduced me to spreading peanut butter on top, then pouring syrup over that. It reminds me of the peanut butter popcorn. Our lives have changed forever!

Also, try these toasted and then served with ice cream on top. Heavenly!