Monday, January 14, 2008

Potato Cakes


So am I the only one who totally overestimates how many potatoes I'll need for mashed potatoes (I do this also with spaghetti!)...so here's a recipe for leftover mashed potatoes. The reviews on the website (cookinglight.com) were all really good, one lady suggested putting the cakes under the broiler for a few minutes after they are cooked to give them a little more crunch. And you can substitute your favorite cheese instead of the cheddar, too. I'll probably add a little more cheese to mine...2 Tbsp? I need more cheese to make me happy =) Oh, and be sure to use panko, not traditional breadcrumbs, they will give your potato cakes a better crunch. Happy eating!


Cooking spray

1/2 cup chopped green onions

2 cups mashed potatoes, chilled

2 tablespoons shredded extrasharp cheddar cheese

1/8 teaspoon salt

1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1 center-cut bacon slice, cooked and crumbled

3/4 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)


Preheat oven to 425°.

Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add green onions to pan, and cook 2 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.

Place mashed potatoes in a medium bowl. Stir in onions, cheese, salt, pepper, and bacon. Divide potato mixture into 6 equal portions, shaping each into a 1/2-inch-thick patty. Place panko in a shallow dish. Dredge patties in panko. Place patties on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 425° for 12 minutes. Carefully turn patties over; bake an additional 12 minutes or until golden. Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 potato cake)

6 comments:

Stina said...

These sound way yummy! Where do you find those Japanese bread crumbs? Can't wait! And--I always make more potatoes than I need. Thanks!

Carissa Poyfair said...

Yeah! Now you didn't even need to email me this recipe! And Stina, Panko can be found in the Asian aisle. I've usually found them in a box.

Denise said...

I too always make too much mashed potatoes and spaghetti. I also make too much lasagna! We have a leftover night each week to eat my "meals for 5" as we joke. This recipe sounds great! I will have to make it the next time I make mashed potatoes, thanks.

Celeste Pearson said...

These sound like the potato cakes from Claim Jumper. Anyway, Panko is also really great for breading chicken and veggies, like zuchinni spears and the frying them. Panko is a lot crunchier so I like it, you just need to season it with things like spices and parmesan and stuff.

Carissa Poyfair said...

Oh yeah, Panko has almost no flavor so if you are using it as breading for chicken or fish or veggies you need to totally season it up with salt/parmesan/etc.

Stina said...

I finally made these! And I have to say--they were delicious. They didn't need ketchup or anything. They kinda reminded me of funeral potatoes. It's a keeper!