Saturday, January 5, 2008

Play Clay Hearts

Last year, after Kade was born, Jordyn had a Valentine's Party in Preschool. And, I forgot the valentines. So, I hopped onto the Family Fun website and found this recipe for play dough valentines. I think they turned out really cute, and I had tons and tons of leftover playdough. It is my absolute favorite. I keep it in tupperware and it has always stayed soft. Give it a go!


CRAFT MATERIALS:

3 Cups of white flour

1 1/2 Cups of salt

1 1/2 Tablespoons of cream of tartar

3 1/4 Cups of water

6 Tablespoons of vegetable oil

Red food coloring

Rolling pin

Heart-shaped cookie cutter

Small cellophane bags

Scissors

White paper

Markers

Hole punch

Ribbon


Time needed: Under 1 Hour

1. Mix the flour, salt, and cream of tartar in a medium saucepan.
2. In a separate bowl, mix the liquids, adding drops of food coloring until you reach your desired shade.
3. Pour the liquid over the dry ingredients and stir. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture holds together and gets too stiff to stir (it will stiffen even more as it cools), about 5 to 10 minutes. Let it cool.
4. Knead the clay briefly, then roll or pat it to a 3/4-inch thickness and cut with the cookie cutter.
5. For each valentine, place a clay heart in a cellophane bag. Cut a tag out of white paper, decorate it with markers, and punch a hole in one end. Thread a length of ribbon through the tag?s hole and tie the bag shut with a bow.

6 comments:

Carissa Poyfair said...

So do they stay soft? Or do they harden? These will be so cute for Olivia's preschool this year! And she loves play dough.

Stina said...

They do stay soft--if in a container. Mine is still soft and it's coming on a year old. When my kids are done, I just throw it back in the tupperware and squish it down tight. I love it--better than store bought!

Carissa Poyfair said...

But do the hearts that you give out as valentines harden up? Or are they soft too? I'm guessing if they are just in a baggy they would harden up, and it would be hard to give them to kids without them (or me) squishing them.

Stina said...

I was talking to another preschool mom about last year's Valentine's party. And she mentioned how much the kids loved them. I made them the night before with Jordyn and put them in their baggies. Then I gave Jordyn a bag to carry them in. We didn't have far to go so they didn't get squished.

Even if you don't make them for Valentine's, it's a really good play dough recipe to have at home. We made six for the kids at preschool and had tons and tons left over.

Denise said...

Cute idea! Does the coloring in them color hands or fabric? I am a little worried putting food coloring in for that reason. I love giving valentines that are NOT candy. Thanks for the idea!

Stina said...

I haven't had any problems with the food coloring. I even have a white counter top and it never smudges on there at all. I think because there's so little food coloring compared to everything else.