Friday, January 18, 2008

German Lentil Soup

The story behind this recipe is this: My dad loves to remember our time in Germany. We would go on Volksmarches (10K organized walks) as a family. And there a lot of foods that go along with those recipes--lemon tea, rolls with tons of butter and cheese or slices of lunchmeat, split pea soup, bratwurst, and of course, this Lentil Soup. So, I did some digging and found several recipes. This recipe is in Best of Allrecipes Recipe Book. Brent likes it too. So, for those of you trying to reduce your lentils in your food storage--this is a recipe you can make over and over! (And I think it's healthy...)


German Lentil Soup

(Allrecipes.com)

2 cups dried brown lentils, rinsed and drained
3 cups chicken stock--and add 2-3 cups more water

1 bay leaf
1 cup chopped carrots

1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped onion

1 cup cooked, cubed ham --or summer sausage link
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg

5 drops hot pepper sauce
1/4 teaspoon caraway seed

1/2 teaspoon celery salt
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley

1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

Place lentils in a 5 to 6 quart slow cooker.­ Add chicken stock, bay leaf, carrots, celery, onion, and ham.­ Season with Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, nutmeg, hot pepper sauce, caraway seed, celery salt, parsley, and pepper.­Cover, and cook on Low for 8 to 10 hours.­ Remove bay leaf before serving. I cooked my last one with a ham bone.­

3 comments:

Kristi Adams said...

This is on my menu for this week! Can't wait to try it! The last time I made lentils it turned out like cement and I had to soak it over night just to get it out of the pan! I didn't have a recipe, though so I think I'll have better luck this time!

Denise said...

Sounds good. I have never cooked with lentils, wish me luck.

Stina said...

I made this again last night with a leftover ham bone. My parents came over for dinner and say it's authentic! And, Brent hate hate hates split pea soup and the like, but he cleaned his plate on this one. It's so good!