Monday, January 14, 2008

Creamed Carrots

Now, don't be turned off by the name of this recipe. It is the yummiest way to eat cooked carrots--just ask my father-in-law. He isn't a fan of cooked carrots, but said these were the best he ever had. (Long pause as I revel in this ultimate compliment!) It's my grandma's recipe--and it's just good country cookin'. I love them. So, here's to a New Year of healthier eating!

Creamed Carrots
(Carolyn Robertson)

4 cups carrots, cut crosswise
1 cup boiling water
2 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp sugar
3 Tbsp cream (or you can substitute milk or evaporated milk)
1 Tbsp flour
1 tsp salt
1 medium size onion, diced (I only put in 2 Tbsp or so)
Parsley to garnish

Cook carrots and onions with water, sugar, and butter until tender. Mix a little water with flour, salt, and cream. Add to carrots. Bring to boil, then remove from heat. Yum!

3 comments:

Carissa Poyfair said...

Why do I always have the dumb questions? Um, what was is cross wise? Like so they are still long? Or cut them in half so they are shorter? My kids love carrots so I'll have to try this.

Celeste Pearson said...

This sounds great! I am so bad at serving creative veggies so maybe this will help me do something besides raw veggies and ranch! I'll let you know how it goes. If Robyn likes it it can't be terrible!!!

Stina said...

Celeste--I know that terrible is a common word--but I think it's "your" word. I say it now because you say it. (Kristen's word is "Amazing!")

Anyway, Carissa, I just sliced my carrots into chunks. I think it's just at a slant. Make them however you think is prettiest. And--not a dumb question because last time I made these I didn't cut them small enough and so they were so hard. :)