Monday, July 21, 2008

Coconut Shrimp

Yes-another shrimp recipe. But, can you blame me? I bought a huge bag of shrimp and thawed all of it. What was I thinking? I can't eat that much, even when I eat more than Brent. Anyway, I looked for some yummy shrimp recipes on allrecipes and this is what I came up with--they are amazing. I did have to modify the beer (you substitute chicken broth). They turned out great!! Just wish I had researched dipping sauces a little better!

Coconut Shrimp
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2/3 cup chicken broth
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups flaked coconut--(you may want to put it thru a food processor so it sticks better)
  • 24 shrimp
  • 3 cups oil for frying
  1. In medium bowl, combine egg, 1/2 cup flour, chicken broth and baking powder. Place 1/4 cup flour and coconut in two separate bowls.
  2. Hold shrimp by tail, and dredge in flour, shaking off excess flour. Dip in egg/broth batter; allow excess to drip off. Roll shrimp in coconut, and place on a baking sheet lined with wax paper. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. (This is a very important step. It keeps all the coconut stuck to the shrimp so when you fry it--it doesn't all come off.) Meanwhile, heat oil to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) in a deep-fryer. (You can also pan-fry these.)
  3. Fry shrimp in batches: cook, turning once, for 2 to 3 minutes, or until golden brown. Using tongs, remove shrimp to paper towels to drain. Serve warm with your favorite dipping sauce.

2 comments:

Kristi Adams said...

This coconut shrimp is amazing! I had coconut shrimp at Red Lobster on Friday then Christina fixed this for us on Sunday and hers was just as yummy as Red Lobster! Great recipe!

Carissa Poyfair said...

Adam loves coconut shrimp. I'll have to make this for his birthday or something. I'm going to look for a yummy pineapple type dip for it too. Thanks!