Thursday, July 10, 2008

German Potato Salad

This is another one of those recipes I thought were authentic and came straight from a German neighbor or something. Until I found it in the Betty Crocker cookbook my mom handed down to me. It's so great and so good. I always think you could use more sauce with it. So, if you want to feel free. I love that the Germans flavor their food with bacon grease. Who cares about fat content, right? :)

Hot German Potato Salad

(Ina Robertson)

4 medium potatoes
3 slices bacon
1 medium onion, chopped
1 TBS flour
1 TBS sugar
1 tsp salt
¼ tsp celery seed
Dash pepper
½ cup water
¼ cup vinegar

Boil potatoes. Cook bacon in 8-inch skillet until crisp, remove bacon and drain. Cook and stir onion in bacon fat until tender. Stir in flour, sugar, salt, celery seed and pepper. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly until mixture is bubbly. Remove from heat. Stir in water and vinegar. Heat to boiling stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute. Remove from heat. Crumble bacon into mixture and slice in warm potatoes. Stir gently to coat until warm and bubbly. Yield: 5 servings.

4 comments:

Kristi Adams said...

This sounds really good. I have alot of potatoes that I need to use up so this will be perfect! By the way, my husband makes fun of me for saving my bacon grease in a cup but it adds so much flavor to whatever you cook in it!

Celeste Pearson said...

Bryan loves this potato salad. The best part is serving it warm. Yummy! You have this is your cookbook you made and we have used the recipe for like two years. It is so good!

Kristi Adams said...

I made this last night to go with our brats and it was perfect! I do remember seeing this recipe in your cookbook and I wish I would have made it sooner!

Denise said...

Josh will love this! I will have to make this soon.