Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Tilapia Dijon

So we try to eat fish once a week, depending what's on sale. My midwife told me to try to shoot for one to two servings a week, and although I can't guarantee two servings - hello fish can be expensive! - I can say that we do, for the most part, eat it once a week. This has become my new favorite fish recipe. Not only is tilapia pretty cheap (I paid $6 for 3 fresh fillets) but it cooks in under 10 minutes. I would definately recommend fresh fish. I buy it the day I make it. I hate frozen fish, it never thaws properly and it doesn't taste nearly as great. Tilapia, for those who have never tried it, is really mild. My boys thought they were eating chicken. The recipe calls for 2 fillets, but I used 3 and didn't run out of the dijon mixture or the panko. If you use more than 3, I'd double everything.

2 6-oz tilapia fillets
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
2 Tbsp butter, divided
¼ cup Dijon mustard
2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley (I used 2 tsp dried basil and it was perfect)
1 Tbsp grated lemon peel - don't skimp on this, it's so good with the lemon!
½ cup panko - NOT bread crumbs, you won't get the crunchy exterior!
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese

Sprinkle fish with salt and pepper. Melt 1 Tbsp of the butter. Combine melted butter, mustard, parsley, and lemon peel in a small bowl; spread over both sides of tilapia. Combine panko and cheese in a shallow dish; generously coat tilapia with crumbs.

Melt remaining 1 Tbsp butter in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook tilapia 8 to 10 minutes or until it just begins to flake, turning once. (Mine was a medium to dark golden brown, almost looked burnt, but it wasn't).

7 comments:

Carissa Poyfair said...

I'm going to say we are the extreme opposite. I don't think I've EVER made fish for my family (except the one time I baked the salmon with herb butter from Costco and Adam ate so much he threw it up). I will try this one though. I've never had tilapia but since it's mild and not baked (Adam's aversion, not mine) and cheap too we'll have to definitely try it some time. Thanks! P.S. You can also have like a tuna melt or something for lunch to get that second serving in per week.

Celeste Pearson said...

I love tilapia. It's like the cheap version of halibut! And I will try this - Bryan isn't a fish eater, but he doesn't mind mild fish like halibut and tilapia. What brand of dijon do you use?? And I love panko!!!

Carissa Poyfair said...

Yeah, let me know what kind of dijon you use. I've had a couple different kinds and some are not as good as others!

Kelli said...

Well for those of you who aren't fish eaters (Bryan!), tilapia is really mild and again, my kids thought it was chicken. It really doesn't have that fishy taste like salmon does. I usually use Grey Poupon regular dijon (not the spicy or the whole grain kind) but this time I used generic Kroger dijon and it was just fine.

Stina said...

I love fish! I really want to try this. Thanks for the recipe and idea. Definitely gonna try it!

Luellens said...

I wish I would have looked at this the other day! I made tilapia the other night for dinner. This sounds way better! Thanks again for the yummy recipes and ideas. Hot German Potato Salad is calling my name. Now I know how to make it!

Carissa Poyfair said...

Okay so I made this on Sunday and it was really good! I really liked tilapia. The flavor of the breading was really good too. We served it with rolls and Janean's Salad (from Feb. 2007) and it was yummy!