Friday, August 1, 2008

Sweet and Sour Chicken

I can't believe I haven't posted this recipe before. I got this from a friend in a recipe exchange and love it. It makes a ton so it feeds us for two nights, and I like to make it when I am feeding the missionaries because it's the perfect amount. I make a couple of changes to it, I'll put those in parentheses in the recipe.

Sweet and Sour Chicken

5 chicken breasts, cubed
Flour
Vegetable Oil
2 Tbsp cornstarch
1 cup light brown sugar
2 Tbsp soy sauce
2/3 cup white vinegar
1 small can crushed pineapple, juice reserved (I also like to use pineapple tidbits or chunks instead so you get actual pieces of pineapple)
1/4 cup green bell pepper, chopped (I usually use more)

Place chicken in Ziploc bag with flour and shake to coat (this works best if you pat down the chicken a little then add the flour last). Add to oil and cook until most are browned and crispy. You'll need enough oil to cover the entire bottom of your pan.

Meanwhile, combine brown sugar and cornstarch in a small saucepan, then add vinegar, pineapple juice plus enough water to make one cup, and soy sauce. Stir to combine and let boil one minute. Add reserved pineapple and bell pepper.

Place chicken in 9x13 dish and pour sauce over it, making sure it covers everything (I kind of stir it in gently to make sure it covers everything). Bake at 375 for 30 minutes. Serve with rice.

4 comments:

Kelli said...

I've made this so often I have it memorized, it is that good! I love it with brown rice, you can use whatever. It makes great leftovers. I use crushed pineapple and then a small can of tidbits (drained) just to get some extra pineapple flavor.

Celeste Pearson said...

I love this recipe! If you have never had it, you have to try it. It is a little labor intensive but not crazy hard. And it is so worth it. Even the leftovers are great!

Stina said...

This recipe is a classic. It's one I go back to again and again. Hey! I'll probably make it for dinner tonight.

Celeste Pearson said...

So I'm putting a plug in for this recipe - I love it. It is a teensy bit time-consuming (mostly because I hate cutting raw chicken) but it is so good! I crave it- and I'm not even pregnant!! :)