Thursday, August 7, 2008

Biscuit Chicken Pot Pie

I am all about comfort foods lately. This recipe is one of my favorites. It's easy and so good. My mom made it when I was younger, but I never liked the pie crust. So, I've kept her recipe, but made it with biscuits. Very yummy. We're having it tonight (even though Brent doesn't like peas)!!

Biscuit Chicken Pot Pie
(Ina Robertson)

1 pckg (10 oz) frozen peas and carrots (or corn, or whatever you prefer!)
1/3 cup margarine or butter
1/3 cup flour
1/3 cup chopped onion
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
1 ¾ cups chicken broth
2/3 cup milk
2 ½ - 3 cups chicken, cooked and cut

Rinse frozen peas and carrots under running cold water to separate, drain. Heat margarine in 2-quart saucepan over low heat until melted. Stir in flour, onion, salt and pepper. Cook stirring constantly until mixture is bubbly and remove from heat. Stir in broth and milk. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute. Stir in chicken and vegetables. Pour into a deep dish 9” square baking dish. All of it may not fit!

Combine 1 cup biscuit mix, ½ cup milk, and 1 egg and pour over chicken mixture. Bake at 400 for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.

3 comments:

Carissa Poyfair said...

I love pot pies! I am excited to try this when fall hits... or maybe sooner!

Celeste Pearson said...

I think this will be so good because I love pot pies but think they can be really fattening. This sounds yummy and healthy! And, best of all, I have everything it calls for on hand. Thanks!

Kelli said...

What?! Brent doesn't like peas?! Crazy!!! I love comfort food, I love pot pies, too. I think I'll use store bought rotisserie chicken though, my chicken I use is always so dry by the time I'm done with it. Can't wait to try it!