Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Easy Fried Rice

Here you go Christina! I hope this recipe makes sense, since I don't really have a lot of measurements to go with it.

2-3 cups rice, uncooked (I use calrose rice, which is a sticky rice)
1 onion or 1 bunch scallions
1/2 pound baby carrots (more or less if you prefer)
1 pound cubed ham or cooked and cubed chicken (I have also used kielbasa in a pinch and it works fine)
1-2 cups frozen peas
2-3 eggs, beaten
Cooking oil
Soy Sauce
Sesame oil (Optional but so worth it)

Cook rice and chill in fridge (I do this at lunch time and it's ready by dinner time). Cut carrots and onion. Heat a couple tablespoons of oil over high heat in a large pan or wok. Add carrots, onion, and meat of your choice. Stir fry until carrots and onion are tender. Meanwhile, in a smaller pan, heat a tablespoon or so of oil on high heat. When rippling, add beaten eggs (if using three eggs, use a medium size pan). Cook on one side like an omelet. When browned a little, flip to other side. Set aside. Break egg apart into pieces. When carrots and onion are done, add chilled rice. Separate and heat through. Add eggs and peas; stir. Add soy sauce to taste. You know it is enough when all the rice is covered, but taste first before adding more so you don't add too much. Drizzle with sesame oil - a little goes a long way so taste before adding more. This makes a ton and is great for breakfast the next morning or for lunch and is great even cold! And feel free to add other veggies and meats, like bean sprouts or shrimp.

5 comments:

Carissa Poyfair said...

Whenever I make a rice dish I always make way more rice than needed so I can have enough for fried rice the next night. I add whatever veggies I have in the house and soy sauce and eggs. I usually just fry my beaten egg in the same pan, just push everything to one side and fry it up on the other side so you have one less pan to clean. We always have egg rolls or potstickers on the side, since I don't usually add meat to my fried rice. I'm excited to try sesame oil in mine though!

Kelli said...

I love this dish, I use generally the same format. Ham is my favorite meat in the dish. And I don't usually use onions, but I might have to just to see how I like it. My kids even love it, Hayden asked for it for his birthday dinner, and I love the leftovers for breakfast the next day!

Kristi Adams said...

Fried rice reminds me of home growing up. My mom always used leftover rice the next day and made ham fried rice. I have never made this, though, so thanks for the recipe!

Stina said...

Thank you thank you thank you! I'm excited to make this. I, like Kelli, love to eat these leftovers--even for breakfast!!

Stina said...

I made this last night and it turned out so so yummy! I added yellow squash and fresh mushrooms to the mix. The only thing I wished for was more veggies! I used 2 cups (measured uncooked) rice so I could have plenty of leftovers. I should've added many more veggies. And, as an after thought--you can use Yoshida's as a substitute for the soy sauce. This is definitely a keeper. My kids gobble it up!! And even Brent ate it with veggies he isn't a fan of (all of them).