Sunday, August 17, 2008

Potato Frittata

I made this for my brother and his fiance when they visited last week. I wasn't sure what to expect, but it turned out delicious! The only somewhat expensive thing is the proscuitto but since the recipe only calls for 2 oz, it only cost me a few dollars. My deli sells proscuitto by the slice, but if yours doesn't and you don't want to buy the larger expensive package, just use ham, just make sure it isn't too salty. A frittata is similar to an omelet, but it is started on the stove and finished under the broiler. And there is so many ingredients packed into this frittata that to me it is more like a quiche and less like an omelet. I served it with a salad and some fruit.

2 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 onion, chopped
1 (15-oz) potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (I played with several baking potatoes at the store til I found two that added up to about 1 lb)
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
6 large eggs
1/4 cup whipping cream
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 oz thinly sliced proscuitto, coarsely chopped
2 Tbsp chopped fresh basil (not dried)

In a 9 1/2-inch-diameter nonstick ovenproof skillet (mine was 9-inches), heat the oil over a medium flame. Add the onion and saute until translucent, about 4 minutes. Add the potato, garlic, salt, and pepper, and saute over medium-low heat until the potato is tender and golden, about 15-minutes (taste test to make sure the potato is cooked through).

Preheat the broiler. In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, cream, Parmesan, proscuitto, and basil to blend. Stir the egg mixture into the potato mixture in the skillet. Cover and cook over medium-low heat until the egg mixture is almost set but the top is still runny, about 2 minutes. Place the skillet under the broiler and broil until the top is set and golden brown, about 4 minutes. Using a rubber spatula, loosen the frittata from the skillet and slide it onto a plate. Cut the frittata into wedges and serve.

6 comments:

Carissa Poyfair said...

What kind of skillet did you use? I don't think I have a 9" skillet with a lid that can go under the broiler. Mine all have plastic-type handles.

Anyway, after you told me about this recipe I totally wanted to make it. If I can find the right pan, I am all about this. Who doesn't love potatoes and eggs?!

Kelli said...

Mine is a nonstick skillet with a lid and it has a metal handle. You could use any lid that covers the pan. This really was quite good, I can't wait to make it again.

Carissa Poyfair said...

Well then you are making it when I come in October because I don't have a skillet with a metal handle. I really should buy one though because lots of recipes "finish up" in the oven.

Celeste Pearson said...

Carissa - you can cover your handle with foil and it will be fine. Just make sure you use good foil and get it all covered nice and thick.

Stina said...

I love love love the recipes you girls post. I know they seem normal to you--but frittata sounds so gourmet to me! I'm glad to know I can put my skillet in the oven now. And, when I'm feeling adventurous I will give this a definite go. :)

Celeste Pearson said...

Okay, I made this last week and it is already on my menu again for next week. It was so good and so easy. It sounds gourmet, and it is, but not hard to do at all! I used a couple more eggs and used deli ham I needed to use up and cut that up and used shredded cheddar and stirred it in. The potatoes take up all the flavor, and I'm excited to try new ingredients, like sausage and bacon, and different cheeses, and veggies. I cooked mine at 400 for about 12 minutes and then turned it to broil for a few minutes (watch it so it doesn't burn!). Thanks Kelli for posting this!!!