Friday, May 4, 2007

Dutch Meatballs

I know most 0f you already have all my recipes, so this may be a rerun for some of you. My Oma used to make these all the time and I thought it was an authentic Dutch recipe, until my mom gave me her old Betty Crocker cookbook. And there, I found the exact same recipe for these meatballs, and her German potato salad. So, much for authentic family recipes. But, these are delicious and my Oma did make them. Try them out, these are a family favorite for us!

Dutch Meatballs
(Trees Piket)

1 lb ground beef
½ cup dry bread crumbs
¼ cup milk
¾ tsp salt
½ tsp Worcestershire sauce
¼ tsp pepper
¼ cup chopped onion 1 egg

Mix all ingredients. Shape into six meatballs. Cook in ¼ cup margarine or butter over medium heat, turning occasionally until brown, about 20 minutes. Make gravy out of drippings.

(I serve the meatballs with mashed potatoes, gravy, a salad, and/or cooked vegetable, and/or rolls. This kind of meal was a staple in my house growing up, minus the salad and rolls.)

And, for a bonus, here's my Aunt Lorraine's "Good Gravy!" recipe. I make this with the drippings from the meatballs and it is delicious!

1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
1 1/2 cups water
2 bouillon cubes (or 2 TBSP powder)

Dissolve bouillon in water. Melt butter and add flour. Add bouillon water. Serve immediately.

2 comments:

Kristi Adams said...

I love love love this recipe! I haven't made them in while, though, so thanks for bringing them up!

Stina said...

We were in California this past weekend for Brent's work retreat (yes I am no tanner than you). The food there was so good! One item they served were meatballs wrapped in bacon. It was actually really good--I'd call it a guilty pleasure!

So, give these a try and wrap them in bacon for variety!

(They are also super good on their own.)