Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Chocolate Hazelnut Ravioli

I saw Giada DeLaurentiis make these on the Food Network and knew I had to try them. Deep fried Nutella? What could be better?! I happened to have some wonton wrappers (you can slice them into thirds and fry in a little oil to make wonton crisps for Asian salads- yum-o!) and tried these. They were super easy, you just have to watch and make sure you aren't overcooking or burning them. They are especially yummy with powdered sugar sifted on top. Enjoy!

16 wonton wrappers
1 egg, beaten to blend
1 cup chocolate-hazelnut spread (recommended: Nutella)
Vegetable oil, for frying
Powdered sugar, for dusting

Line a baking sheet with plastic wrap. Place one wonton wrapper on the work surface. Brush the edges of the wrapper lightly with egg. Spoon 1 tablespoon of chocolate-hazelnut spread into the center of the wrapper. Fold the wrapper diagonally in half over the filling and press the edges of the wrapper to seal. Place the ravioli on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining wonton wrappers, egg, and chocolate-hazelnut spread.

Preheat the oven to 200 degrees F. Add enough oil to a heavy large frying pan to reach a depth of 2 inches. Heat the oil over medium heat to 350 degrees F.

Working in batches, carefully add the ravioli to the hot oil and cook until they are golden brown, about 45 seconds per side. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the ravioli to a plate lined with paper towels to drain. Then, transfer the cooked ravioli to another baking sheet and keep them warm in the oven while frying the remaining ravioli. (The fried ravioli can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cool them completely, then cover and refrigerate. Before serving, place them on a baking sheet and rewarm in a preheated 375 degrees F oven just until they are heated through, about 7 minutes.)

You can also garnish these with sugared mint leaves, one leaf per ravioli. Spray the leaves lightly with cooking spray, then one at a time dredge lightly into granulated sugar.

7 comments:

Kristi Adams said...

Yum...I've used won ton wrapper alot but this is a new twist! You definitely can't go wrong with Neutella!

Kristi Adams said...

sorry..Nutella

Stina said...

Where do I buy wonton wrappers?? Not that I've ever looked for them. Asian food section?

Carissa Poyfair said...

I found my wonton wrappers in the produce section- yes that's right. They were right along with those veggies and all. Just ask someone who works there where exactly they are. They have to stay refrigerated so they wouldn't be in the regular aisle.

Celeste Pearson said...

I totally saw this episode (twice - isn't her mom annoying?). Anyway, why didn't we make these a couple weeks ago??? You will have to help me make these in July, okay???

Celeste Pearson said...

I totally saw this episode (twice - isn't her mom annoying?). Anyway, why didn't we make these a couple weeks ago??? You will have to help me make these in July, okay???

Kelli said...

Stina, I've seen wonton wrappers at SuperTarget (yeah, I know the store like the back of my hand) at the produce section above the mushrooms. I can totally picture it in my head.