Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Easter Egg Cookies

I've been wanting to make these for over a year. My mom gave me Betty Crocker's Celebrations cookbook. My cookies actually turned out like the ones in the picture. Give it a try. It just takes time, not talent. Trust me.







1 pouch Betty Crocker® sugar cookie mix
1/2 cup margarine or butter, melted
1/4 cup Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
1 egg
3 food colors
Granulated sugar, if desired
1/2 tub Betty Crocker® Whipped vanilla ready-to-spread frosting

(I made my own sugar cookies cause I didn't buy a mix and it's just as easy to make them from scratch.)

1. Heat oven to 375°F. Stir cookie mix, margarine, flour and egg in medium bowl until soft dough forms. Divide dough evenly among 3 bowls; tint each dough by stirring in a few drops of desired food color.
2. Shape 1/3 cup of each color of dough into a rope about 5 inches long and 1 inch in diameter. Place ropes side by side and a little more than 1/4 inch apart on floured surface; roll until 1/4 inch thick. Cut with 2- to 2 1/2-inch egg-shaped cookie cutter so each cookie has 3 colors. Sprinkle with sugar. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Repeat with remaining dough. (When rerolling dough scraps, carefully lay matching colors together.)
3.Bake 7 to 9 minutes or until edges are light golden brown. Cool 1 minute; remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Cool completely, about 30 minutes. Spread frosting on bottoms of half the cookies. Top with remaining cookies.
(Total time will vary; cook or bake time is per batch.)

Food Color Guide:
(You may have to double or triple the amounts sometimes. Purple was hard to achieve, I had to triple it.)

Orange (2 drops yellow and 2 drops red)
Peach (4 drops yellow and 1 drop red)
Lime Green (3 drops yellow and 1 drop green)
Turquoise Blue (3 drops blue and 1 drop green)
Purple (3 drops red and 2 drops blue)
Rose (5 drops red and 1 drop blue)

5 comments:

Carissa Poyfair said...

So when you lay the different colored ropes of dough next to each other, do they end up touching each other when you roll them out to 1/4 inch thick? I am confused, which isn't surprising!

Celeste Pearson said...

Carissa needs pictures and detailed illustrations!!! Anyway, I think these sound like so much fun, and sugar cookies are Bryan's favorite! And they are so cute! I think maybe I will attempt these - wish me luck!

Stina said...

Okay ladies, this is how it goes...The ropes they say should be 1/4 inch apart. But, I put them closer. Whatever. The idea is to get them to to touch, so when you use your cookie cutter, it gets all three colors. You just cut down the center. So, you end up rolling it out a ton. To make more of these cookies, I'd pull the different colored dough apart from each other and do it again. Make sense?

Carissa Poyfair said...

I am so dumb. So why do you put the ropes apart from each other if they are supposed to be touching? Do they end up touching when you roll them out flat from being ropes? Yes, my sisters know how dumb I am when it comes to cooking. I'm good at it, I just need lots of help!

Stina said...

You put the ropes apart from each other because when you roll them they should touch. I found it worked easier to put them closer together. Yes--they end up touching when you roll them flat. You are not so dumb. At least you ask before you make them. I just jump in and hope it will all work out.