Thursday, April 19, 2007

Corn Chowder

We love this soup! We eat it out of soup bowls or with crusty bread. I don't like celery so I just add two carrots instead, and I only add half of the stick of butter at the end, otherwise it is really rich. It's delicious, enjoy!

1 cup (2 sticks) butter
1 small onion, diced
1 small carrot, finely diced
1 small celery stalk, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
3 cups white corn kernels, fresh or frozen
3 cups chicken stock
2 cups half-and-half
Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Melt 1 stick of butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, celery, and garlic, and saute for 2 minutes. Add the flour and stir to make a roux. Cook until the roux is lightly browned; set aside to cool to room temperature.

Meanwhile, combine the corn and chicken stock in another saucepan, and bring to a boil. Simmer for 10 minutes. Pour the boiling stock with the corn (a little at a time) into the saucepan with the roux, whisking briskly so it doesn't lump. Return the skillet to the heat and bring to a boil. The mixture should become very thick.

In a small saucepan, gently heat the half-and-half; stir it into the thick corn mixture. Add the nutmeg and salt and pepper, to taste. Just before serving, cut the remaining stick of butter into large chunks. Add it to enrich the soup, stirring until the butter melts.

7 comments:

Carissa Poyfair said...

This is my all time favorite soup. We make it with the Costco frozen sweet corn and sometimes add chicken to it. It is so yummy!!!

Denise said...

YUM! I can not wait to try this recipe. I love that I have so many recipes for dinner now! I love corn chowder and have really been craving soup. It's rainy out so what a perfect dinner for tonight. I have never made a homemade soup before, so wish me luck!

Celeste Pearson said...

You know, I really liked the soup too but the carrots were still really crunchy. Did I do it right? And we add ham to it because a meal is not dinner to Bryan unless it has meat in it!

Carissa Poyfair said...

My carrots weren't crunchy, but it doesn't mean you did it wrong. How big were they cut? I mince mine so small that they soften easily, but I think they would be okay a little crunchy too, sinc eyou can't taste them when they are too soft.

Kelli said...

Yeah I never had a problem with crunchly carrots, but I cut the about the size of peas so they cook pretty quickly. I've never put meat in mine, but Jage isn't a meat-and-potatoes kind of guy so its never been a problem.

Stina said...

I made this and it is very very yummy. I love the garlic in it--it has a garlic butter taste. And, I love that it's a chowder--my favorite kind of soup. It almost reminds me of chicken pot pie. Which I love love love. Yummy!

Stina said...

Oh, and about the carrots, I just threw the onion, carrots, and celery into my chopper and they were teeny. I didn't even try to do it by hand. So, we weren't exactly chewing the carrots, but they were there. I could see hints of orange. I guess I'm not exactly gourmet, but hey, that's just not me. And that just made the corn stand out even more.