Thursday, April 19, 2007

123 Hamburger Mac

This is not gourmet by any means, but it is Bryan's and my favorite cheap meal - I crave it all the time, even when I'm not pregnant. And for Denise, you can omit the hamburger and add whatever veggie you think would go well with this dish or just eat the noodles and cheese.

1 pound hamburger, browned (I season with worcestershire and garlic powder)
2 cans tomato soup
3 cups macaroni, cooked and drained to al dente (it will cook a little more in the oven)
6-8 slices Kraft singles cheese (this makes the dish! Don't substitute shredded cheese or the really cheap singles cheese - buy a good brand so it melts!)

Combine hamburger, soup, and macaroni into a 9x13 dish. Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes. Take casserole out and top with sliced cheese (you can tear the cheese to fit - the more cheese the better!) Place back in oven for a minute or two, until cheese is melted. Stir cheese into casserole and serve.

This meal is really versatile. If you don't have tomato soup you can use tomato sauce or spaghetti sauce (I think the tomato soup tastes best, but whatever you like). You can also add veggies like onion, carrots, and spinach and dried herbs like oregano, parsely, and basil. You can also top it with parmesan cheese or torn bits of fresh basil.

4 comments:

Carissa Poyfair said...

Celeste gave me this recipe a long time ago and I've made it a few times. Adam was weirded out by the ingredients but really liked it once it was made. We add spaghetti sauce for an Italian twist, or tomato soup for regular nights. I am excited to add veggies to this next time.

Denise said...

Hamburger in it, Yuck! Who wants the meat? Josh and my girls are actually the biggest meat eaters I know. I think I deprived them of it and now they cant get enough meat! This is the perfest family recipe, at least for our family. What kid does not like mac and cheese? I am excited to try this one. We make our stove top mac and cheese with pasta, kraft singles, milk, buter, and salt and pepper. We love it so the ingredients are normal to us. I think it will taste really good with the tomatoe soup though! YUM

Kristi Adams said...

I am a total fan of Campbell's soup recipes. They always turn out yummy! I will definitely try this one!

Stina said...

So I bought the good Kraft cheese singles to make this and just found them in my minivan. Am I an airhead or a busy mom?