Monday, April 30, 2007

Sloppy Joes

This is my famous sloppy joe recipe. We have it probably every other week just because it's so easy and good and my husband loves it. Christina makes fun of me because I "hide" vegetables in it but it really is a good way to to sneak veggies to your kids!(and husbands!)


1 lb. hamburger
2 celery stalks chopped
shreaded carrots
mushrooms (sliced)
shreaded zucchini
1 c. ketchup
2 Tbls. worchestershire sauce
1 tsp. prepared mustard

Brown hamburger and celery until done. Add carrots, mushrooms and zucchini and saute. Add ketchup, worchestershire sauce and mustard and let simmer, stirring occassionally.
Serve on hamburger buns.
*vegetables are optional. You can add any or all of them to your liking.
*I usually half this recipe for my family of four.

4 comments:

Stina said...

Now that I have this recipe, I'm going to make it. This is the only way I'm ever going to get Brent to get enough vegetables!!!

Celeste Pearson said...

I'm all about hiding vegetable. I make fried rice and Rix loves the meat and rice so much he doesn't notice the veggies in it. I am totally trying this recipe! Thanks!

Denise said...

I just hosted a playdate and made this for the kids lunch. It was a big hit with the moms and all the kids gobbled them up. I made sandwich pockets out of biscuit doungh with sloppy joes inside and baked them in the oven. It was nice becaause they were not so sloppy! Thanks for the recipe.

Stina said...

I made this and it was so fun to sneak in all the veggies. I'm not sure Brent knew or not... But, Kristen Pearson has a great sloppy joe recipe almost identical. She only puts in 1/2 cup of ketchup and adds undiluted chicken gumbo soup. Give it a try!