Thursday, March 4, 2010

Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup

This recipe is from the Sisters' Cafe blog, which I have been frequenting lately. I'm making some other dishes from their blog later this week (including Honey Lime Enchiladas!) and anything new I like I'll definitely share! Make sure when you make this soup, that you put the tortilla chips at the bottom, top with the soup, and finish off with shredded cheese and sour cream. My soup wasn't nearly as soupy as the one in the picture. It was really thick but tasted fantastic. Next time I'll add in some chicken stock at the end if it's too thick.

My kids loved this soup and my husband said it was a keeper. It was super simple- just throw it all in the crockpot and let it simmer for 8 hours on low, and there you go! It made my house smell yummy too! I know all of you in Utah need some warmth and soup is so easy. Plus, this one is super figure friendly if you use light or fat free sour cream and little cheese.
Picture courtesy The Sisters' Cafe

4 chicken breast halves (I've used 3 big ones and had it turn out great)
2 15-oz cans black beans, drained
2 15-oz cans Mexican stewed tomatoes
1 cup salsa (they used medium, but mild would be fine, just not as flavorful)
1 4-oz can chopped green chilies
1 14 ½-oz can tomato sauce
Tortilla chips, not optional :)
2 cups grated cheddar cheese (I prefer sharp)

Combine all ingredients except chips and cheese in large slow cooker. Cover and cook on low 8 hours. Just before serving, remove chicken breasts and slice or shred into bite-sized pieces. Stir into soup. To serve, put a handful of chips in each individual soup bowl. Ladle soup over chips. Top with cheese.

6 comments:

Celeste Pearson said...

Hooray! Another awesomely easy recipe for Mexican night!!!

Stina said...

This looks so good I want to eat it right now. I was just feeling sad that no recipes had been posted in awhile. Thanks, Carissa!!

Denise said...

putting this on this weeks menu...thanks!

Ina said...

I'm Christina's mom and I made this meal last Friday. I actually had all ingredients in the house and it was sooooo good. What an easy way to eat healthy.

Stina said...

Isn't my mom the best? She called the other night because she had already made this and wanted me to know how good it is! She beat me to it! It was so good, they cleaned up for leftovers Sunday night. Can't wait!

Kristi Adams said...

This looks so yummy. Maybe I won't be so depressed about the lingering cold weather if I have a new soup recipe! Thanks!