Friday, March 19, 2010

Bacon Cheeseburger Pizza

I was a little nervous to try this recipe because, well, it's different. But it got great reviews and I thought, what the heck? What's the worst that can happen besides maybe throwing it away and ordering takeout?? And since Friday nights are pizza night in our house, I am always looking for a new idea for pizza. I hope you all get a chance to try this out! I tweaked it a little bit, I added bacon and omitted the onions. My whole family ate this up and Bryan said it was a keeper (which doesn't happen often!).

1 pound hamburger (I seasoned mine with McCormick's Roasted Red Pepper and Garlic, but season as you wish!)
1 (12-inch) prepared pizza crust (I used the recipe below)
1/2 cup yellow mustard
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup chopped onions (I omitted this, but maybe green onions would be good!)
15 dill pickle slices
3/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1/2 package bacon, chopped into pieces, cooked and drained

Brown the hamburger, seasoning to your liking. Set aside. Cook bacon, set aside. Prepare cruse (I used the recipe below, and it is awesome because you make it and you can use it right away, with NO rising time!)

3 cups all-purpose flour

1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon white sugar
1 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)

1.Combine flour, salt, sugar, and yeast in a large bowl. Mix in oil and warm water. Spread out on a large pizza pan. 

2.Bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes.

Top cooked dough with mustard. Then add 2 cups mozzerella, hamburger, bacon, pickle slices, and cheddar cheese. Cook 10-12 minutes longer, until cheese is melted.

**I think it would be easier to chop up the pickles slices - it would be easier to eat. But the slices look so cool on the pizza!

3 comments:

Carissa Poyfair said...

I was a little nervous for you guys when you told me about this, but it looks so good and I'm glad you liked it! Was the mustard weird on it? We'll have to try it. We are implementing Mexican night, pizza night, and breakfast-for-dinner night in our house so we need lots of ideas!

P.S. The pickle slices DO look awesome!

Celeste Pearson said...

The mustard was actually really good on it. I just used plain old mustard (you know, what you put on burgers!!). You only use 1/2 cup, so it's not super thick like pizza sauce, just gives it enough flavor. It was like eating a bacon cheeseburger in pizza form!

Stina said...

Ok Celeste, this is how much I trust you. I will give it a try since you and others gave it great reviews! What a fun idea.