Sunday, March 21, 2010

Chocolate Mousse Cake


A few years ago, Celeste's friend and amazing cook brought this cake by. It was incredible, and she gave us the recipe. Celeste asked me to send her the recipe, and I just realized I never did. I went ahead and made it today for my mom's birthday, and it's as amazing as I remember it. Don't be afraid of it--if I can make it so can you! It's easier than cake decorating and yummier too!


Chocolate Mousse Cake

Crust:
3 egg whites
1/4 tsp Cream of Tartar
1 cup Sugar
1 cup chopped walnuts
30 Saltine Crackers, crushed (I put mine in my veggie chopper, worked great!)

beat egg whites with cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Add sugar gradually and beat until stiff. Fold in cracker crumbs and walnuts. Spread in bottom of greased and floured (or Pam-ed) 9-inch spring form pan. Bake at 350 for 12 minutes.


Filling (brownie layer):
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 oz unsweetened chocolate, melted
1/4 cup flour
2 tsp vanilla

Melt chocolate and butter on low heat (I microwaved it). Cool slightly then add sugar and eggs. Beat on low until smooth and fold in flour and vanilla. Pour on top of baked crust and return to oven at 350 for about 22 more minutes.


Mousse:
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 pkgs (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
1 1/3 cups powdered sugar
2 cups whipping cream
2 tsp vanilla

Melt chocolate. Cool slightly and add cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla. Beat whipping cream until firm then add to cheese mixture. Pour on top of completely cooled filling (I put my filling in the freezer for about an hour cause I was in a hurry). Let set up in the refrigerator all day or overnight.


Frosting:
2 cups whipping cream
powdered sugar
1 tsp cocoa powder

Whip it until it is a good spreading consistency. Take cake from spring form pan and frost sides and top of cake. Very rich, cut small pieces.

5 comments:

Celeste Pearson said...

THANK YOU FOR POSTING THIS (that was my waistline talking...)

Seriously, I lost this recipe forever ago! I'm so glad you kept it!!! I think I'll make it for Easter...or for Tuesday :)

Carissa Poyfair said...

I WANT TO EAT THE PICTURE! That was me talking, but my waistline thanks me. Seriously, chocolate mousse cake sounds sooo good right now. And if you make this on Tuesday, Celeste, I will know it and I will be there... just you wait.

Kristi Adams said...

I bet you are your mom's new favorite! That looks so good but its a good thing you're a runner:)

Kristi Adams said...

OK, now I can officially vouch for this recipe! It is so so so good. They should serve it at Cheesecake Factory! Seriously! I am making it for Easter for sure! Thanks, Christina, for sharing!!!!!!!

Stina said...

I have made this for Brent's birthday and my Oma's. And I think I'll make it for the Enrichment Birthday Party on Thursday. I love that is so yummy, but requires no skill--just some time. LOVE IT!