Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Swedish Pancakes

I can't believe we (as in my sisters and I) haven't posted this yet! We grew up on Swedish Pancakes, which are pretty similar to crepes. We usually put maple syrup in the middle and rolled it up, although we've also filled it with fruit and whipped cream. My inlaws make crepes with orange zest in it, that might be fun too. Oh, and a new fave of ours is Nutella or peanut butter with bananas. Every time I make them reminds me of Saturday mornings at my parent's house.

Swedish Pancakes (feeds a family of 4-ish, so you can double or triple this)

1 cup milk
4 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup flour, not sifted

Mix all ingredients except flour together in a bowl with an egg beater or a mixer with the whisk paddle attached. Add flour and mix until smooth. In a large pan or crepe pan, with about 1/2 Tablespoon melted butter coating it, pour about 1/4 to 1/3 cup batter into the pan, swirling the pan to cover the entire bottom (first photo). Once the edges are started to turn brown, flip the pancake over. Let cook until golden spots appear on the pancake (second picture). Stack pancakes together between wax paper or serve them up to hungry family members who are waiting for more. To fill, put filling choice in the down the middle of the pancake and roll it up like a cigar (picture 3).






Want to make your own maple syrup???
Maple Syrup
1 cup water
2 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon Mapeline (maple extract)
Boil water in a small saucepan. Add sugar and stir until dissolved. Remove from heat and add the Mapeline. It will be thin, but it's so good. Use a small ladle or gravy boat to serve. My dad saves old store-bought syrup bottles and fills them with his syrup.

3 comments:

Celeste Pearson said...

Seriously, we are slackers for not posting this! Bry's favorite is peanut butter and bananas. And dad just mentioned today that he made these last night, and he used half and half instead of milk, and they were pretty tasty! Just a thought. And the syrup will be thin, but will thicken as it cools. I keep mine in a mason jar!

Stina said...

I love crepes! Growing up, my Oma put brown sugar in the center. I still love it! At the preschool I worked at, they put pudding in it. I haven't made these forever, thanks for posting your family's secret recipe. I'm making these this week!

Carissa Poyfair said...

My kids always ask for "Papa's" pancakes. We made them for the missionaries too. I love that you can be so versatile with what you put inside them. Thanks for posting. I always lose this recipe!