Monday, March 31, 2008

Texas Caviar (Salsa)

I had to clarify...caviar?! Ew! But this recipe doesn't exactly use fish eggs, so you're all safe. I hosted our ward's first cooking group last week, and one of the girl's brought this salsa. The recipe says to use corn chips, but she just used tortilla chips and it was perfect. Jeremiah and I crave this salsa now, and sadly we don't have any grocery money until next Monday =(

1 (16ounce) can black eyed peas
1 can pinto beans
1 small jar of chopped pimentos
1 small onion, chopped
1 cup celery, chopped
1 cup green/red bell peppers, chopped finely
1 can corn

Drain and rinse and put in a bowl

MARINADE
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp water
3/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup canola oil
1 cup sugar

Put all of the ingredients into a pot and bring to a boil. Pour over the bean mixture and let marinate overnight. Drain and serve with corn chips

5 comments:

Carissa Poyfair said...

I remember you telling me about this. I've never really had a salsa with pimientos or black eyed peas but I'm excited to try it. I've had something called Texas Caviar before but I don't really remember it, but it couldn't have been really caviar or I wouldn't have eaten it!

Celeste Pearson said...

I know pimentos are in olives - but what do they taste like out of the olives? Anyway, I was telling Bryan about this recipe and he said we have to try it. He loves salsa - in fact, if I don't make dinner he makes chips and salsa into a meal!!!

Stina said...

I've been wanting a homemade salsa recipe! I am so making this. But, I'm going to add avocado to mine!! Thanks!

Denise said...

I just had this at a ward event...YUM! They made it without a lot of the ingredients (pimentos, onions and peppers) but it was still good. I think they were trying to make it more kid friendly. They added fresh avocado and tomatoes and just used Italian salad dressing as the marinade. When they told me what it was called I remembered seeing a post on it. I am so bummed I did not try this earlier.

Stina said...

I made this the other night and it was soooooo good! Me and the kids couldn't stop eating it!! Definitely a keeper!