Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Apple Pudding Cake with Caramel Sauce

Being on my no chocolate diet made me have to branch out! And, I've had this recipe forever--Carissa emailed it to me years ago. But, I have never had the right time to make it (chocolate always took its place). So, I made it the other day for dessert at Kristi's and loved love loved it. I love the caramel sauce. And, I have leftover caramel to use on ice cream. So, if you don't feel like cobbler when the weather warms up--try this!

Apple Pudding Cake with Caramel Sauce

(Carissa Poyfair)

1 cup butter or margarine
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
4 cup grated apples
2 cups flour
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp baking soda
1 cup butter
2 cup brown sugar
1 cup heavy cream

Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs. Add grated apples, flour, cinnamon, and baking soda. Pour into lightly greased 9x13 pan. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes. To make caramel sauce: melt butter and sugar in saucepan. Gradually add heavy cream. Cut cake into pieces when cooled and pour warm caramel sauce over each piece right before serving. Can serve with real whipped cream as well.

4 comments:

Kelli said...

I made an apple cake once, and although the people we ate with all liked it, I wasn't all that impressed (obviously, since it didn't end up on the blog!). But, since this one is on the blog, can I assume it's yum-o?! I love apple cake, I'm going to make this next time the missionaries are here!

Carissa Poyfair said...

You can also omit the homemade caramel sauce. I always use store bought sauce since I always burn the homemade stuff! I'm glad you posted this since I don't have the recipe anymore. Thanks!

Stina said...

The cake is really moist--but I think the caramel sauce is what makes the cake amazing.

Thanks for the recipe, Carissa. Keep them coming!!!

Denise said...

My mouth is watering! I have so many dessert recipes I love and need to try :) I could do a dessert a day for a month, oh that would be so great!! Instead I will wait for a special occasion. FHE is a special occasion, right?