Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Sweet & Salty Green Beans

So these are delicious! I love fresh green beans anyway, but what is better than green beans mixed with a sweet and salty sauce (teriyaki and honey) with onions and CASHEWS!!! And bacon! Don't let the teriyaki sauce throw you - this isn't an asian-tasting dish at all. And this would be perfect for Easter as a side dish!

2 tablespoons teriyaki sauce
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 pounds fresh green beans
2 slices bacon
1/2 cup red bell pepper strips
1/2 cup thin onion wedges
1/2 cup whole cashews

In a small bowl, stir together the teriyaki sauce, honey, and butter. Fill a bowl with cold water and ice cubes.

Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add the lemon juice. Drop in the beans and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, or until beans are bright green. Drain the beans in a colander and then plunge them into the iced water. Drain again and set aside.

In a skillet, cook the bacon until very crispy, crumble and set aside. Saute the bell pepper and onion in the hot bacon fat for 2 minutes. Add the beans, cashews, and bacon to the skillet. Add the teriyaki-honey sauce and toss gently. Serve warm.

4 comments:

Stina said...

This sounds so good! I love twists on frozen veggies. I will definitely try this one!

Kelli said...

The title sounds gross, but when you read the recipe it sounds so much better. I love fresh green beans too, and I'd love to try a new way to cook them. I need to get a few ingredients before I can try it, though.

Celeste Pearson said...

Sorry about the title - it's original title was "Fancy Green Beans" but I wanted something more descriptive. And I don't know how frozen green beans would work -I've only used fresh green beans. Let me know if they work out! I have a Costco bag of frozen green beans!!!

Kristi Adams said...

I think sweet and salty sounds good! Maybe it's just because I'm prego! have you ever had the sweet and salty chex mix? Yum-o!