Friday, April 4, 2008

Pear and Blue Cheese Salad

I give full credit for this recipe to my friend Rachel. We had Easter dinner with them and this was the first course. I don't really like blue cheese at all but I loved this salad. It was delicious! It makes a perfect side dish, especially if you want to impress someone or want a fancy side for a special dinner. By the way, if you don't have a Heinen's grocery store or Trader Joe's nearby, you can probably find the pear infused vinegar at Safeway or Albertson's.

Salad
1 bag baby greens (the fancy mix)
3 ripe pears peeled and cut into small pieces
1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
1/3 cup pine nuts (you should toast these to bring out the flavor, but you don't have to)

Dressing
1/2 cup pear infused vinegar (they have this at Heinen's, I like the Alessi brand the best, and I'm pretty sure Trader Joe's has their own)
3/4 cup olive oil
Whisk together until mixed and then pour over right before serving. Toss to coat.

2 comments:

Kelli said...

I'll have to pick up some of that vinegar when I visit. Jeremiah would love this salad. What kind of pears would you use? There's like 10 varieties!

Carissa Poyfair said...

I think you can use whatever pear you want or whatever is cheapest. It doesn't really matter.