Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Potato Rolls

Personally I have never made these, but my mother in law has and they are divine! They melt in your mouth and have this awesome sweet glaze over them. I crave these! My sister in law, Sarah, said it took her 4 times to get this recipe right, but don't let that keep you from trying it out! They are awesome! It's more like a sweet treat than an actual roll, and she makes them for almost every occasion I have been at with her. I am going to try and make them so I'll let you know how that goes (being that it will be my first time trying to make a homemade bread using yeast and no bread machine!).

1 cup mashed potatoes (yeah, I know what you're thinking, but they are potato rolls!)
1 Tbsp. yeast
1 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp. salt
1 cup sugar
1 cup warm water
3 eggs
5-6 cups flour

Combine the potatoes, sugar, yeast, and warm water. Add the vegetable oil, eggs, and salt. Stir in 5 cups of the flour, add enough flour to make a soft dough. Knead until the dough is not sticky. Allow to rise until double in size. Cut into small portions, roll into long lengths and tie into knots. Place on a greased cookie sheet and allow to double again. Bake at 350* for 25-30 minutes. Frost while they are still warm.

Frosting:
2 cups powdered sugar
1tsp. vanilla
1 Tbsp. butter
water as needed

9 comments:

Kelli said...

Hey thanks for finally sharing!

Carissa Poyfair said...

Sorry, I just barely got this recipe today but I've been waiting for a long time for it. Now you've got it, make them and let me know what you think!

Celeste Pearson said...

Not only do these sound healthy (a cup of oil???) but they sound delicious. And I don't bake, especially with yeast, so these will be an adventure for me. Or, why don't you make these for us in May??? THANKS ahead of time!

Kristi Adams said...

Just wondering...Can you use instant mashed potatoes or do have to use the real thing?

Carissa Poyfair said...

I'm not sure about the instant potatoes thing... that was one of my questions too. I'll email my sister in law and ask. Then I'll let you know in another comment :)

Stina said...

I made these! I feel so accomplished to have done them! I've never done knots before! A couple tips I learned along the way:

Make them first thing in the morning or the night before to make sure they raise in time for dinner--unless someone has tips for making them rise faster. Mine took forever.

My oven runs hot so it only took 15 minutes to bake them. Be sure to watch them.

And, I used leftover homemade mashed potatoes and they turned out well!

Thanks for the recipe, Carissa!

Stina said...

So, I found out how to make dough rise faster--my friend (Julie Howell) preheates her oven while she's making the dough. Then, she sets the dough on the stove, covers it with a towel and it raises quicker that way.

Also, I forgot to say, if you're making these rolls for a smaller group (like 4), be sure to halve the recipe. It makes 3 dozen.

Stina said...

I'm making these again cause Tia and I made a gazillion mashed potatoes for Sunday dinner. I remembered I had another recipe that has instructions for cutting out the rolls which is helpful for rookies like me:

After rising, roll out dough into a large (18 inch) circle. Cut into 20-24 wedges, like cutting a pizza. Roll from the flat bottom of the triangle to the pointy top and place on a lightly greased cookie sheet. Cover with a dish towel.

Stina said...

PS. It occurred to me why these are so tasty. Is it weird for me to say they taste like glazed donuts? Cause I think they do! So good!