Monday, March 26, 2007

Caramel Apple Cheesecake Bars

If this was Rachael Ray's, I'd say YUM-O, but it isn't. This is Paula Deen's recipe and it's so good (and, strangely enough, there is plenty of butter involved!). It's actually quite easy to make, too - see, Stina, you can make homemade cheesecake! And because you bake it in a 9x13 pan, you don't need any fancy springform pans. Here are my suggestions: *Spray the foil inside the pan with cooking spray *I used low-fat cream cheese and it still tasted great *I only used about half of the Streusel topping *Get the caramel sauce in the jar, it's just a little bit more money but you want a good caramel sauce to top this cheesecake.

How good is it? Steve (my brother-in-law) ate two servings, and he's lactose intolerant!!!

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sugar, plus 2 tablespoons, divided
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Streusel topping, recipe follows
1/2 cup caramel topping

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a medium bowl, combine flour and brown sugar. Cut in butter with a pastry blender until mixture is crumbly. Press evenly into a 13 by 9 by 2-inch baking pan lined with heavy-duty aluminum foil. Bake 15 minutes or until lightly browned.

In a large bowl, beat cream cheese with 1/2 cup sugar in an electric mixer at medium speed until smooth. Then add eggs, 1 at a time, and vanilla. Stir to combine. Pour over warm crust.
In a small bowl, stir together chopped apples, remaining 2 tablespoons sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Spoon evenly over cream cheese mixture. Sprinkle evenly with Streusel topping. Bake 30 minutes, or until filling is set. Drizzle with caramel topping.

Streusel Topping:

1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup quick cooking oats
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened

In a small bowl, combine all ingredients.

5 comments:

Celeste Pearson said...

i am SO excited to try this recipe. Remember Mrs. Hooker's apple cheesecake? Woohoo!!

Carissa Poyfair said...

I was just thinking the same thing, about that apple cheesecake Mrs. Hooker use to make (unfortunate name she had, though) and I was wondering if Kelli would enlighten us. Is it anthing like that?!

Kelli said...

I can't remember, I didn't like cheesecake back then so I never ate it. You'll have to make it and tell me about it is.

Carissa Poyfair said...

I made these on Easter and they were sooo good. I didn't like to have so many apples on top, but Adam loved it like it was. And I liked the carmel sauce on top, but it melted into everything and I couldn't really taste it, so maybe I'll add it to individual pieces next time.

Stina said...

This was really good. Kevin served his mission in England and said they made it there all the time. Delicious! (And is it weird that Paula Deen's voice was in my head while I read and reread the recipe?)