Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Easy Homemade Bread

When I was the Beehive leader I taught my Beehives this recipe and even THEY thought it was easy. It turns out every time and it's really delicious (especially the next morning as toast!)
This is actually my Grandma's recipe-Janet Norviel

2 c. luke warm water
1 Tbls. dry yeast
1/2 c. sugar
2 tsp. salt
4 Tbls. salad oil
Flour (enough to make dough stiff)

In large bowl, put water, yeast, sugar, and salt and stir until mixed. Add oil. Add flour a little at a time until you have a thick elastic ball. Turn out on a floured surface and knead for 5 minutes (I never kneed it that long) until smooth. Add more flour if sticky.
Put back in bowl; let rise until double. Divide into two bread pans. Let rise again. Bake at 375 for 30 minutes. Butter tops immediately and turn out on dish towel to cool.
*You can also make delicious scones out of this recipe. Just let the dough rise once, then break off small pieces, flatten slightly, and fry in hot oil. Top with butter and honey.

4 comments:

Stina said...

Is there a rough estimate for how much flour to use?

Stina said...

Also, I bet this would go great with your tomato soup!

Kristi Adams said...

If I remember, it is about 5-6 cups. Just enough so that it doesn't stick to your hands when you knead it. I'll have to make it and measure an exact amount and I'll let you know for sure!

Kristi Adams said...

Yup, 6 cups exactly. That included the flour I used on the counter to knead it.