Thursday, March 22, 2007

Eclair Cake- Perfect for Easter dinner!

So I know it has been a long time since I have posted a recipe. I think I've only actually posted one recipe on here to date. Anyway, this cake is so scrumptious. We had it at our Relief Society birthday dinner and I ate way more than my share. You bake it on a jelly roll pan so it looks like it makes a lot, but the cake is so thin that you can definitely eat more than once piece, and you will definitely want to. Just keep leftovers (if you have any) in the fridge. When I make this myself I will post a picture!

Crust:
1 cup water
1 cube butter (Paula Deen would love this recipe)
1 cup flour
4 eggs

Topping:
8oz cream cheese
1 large instant vanilla pudding
3 cups cold milk
8 oz cool whip
Chocolate topping (recipe below)

Bring water and butter to a boil, take off heat and mix in flour. Add eggs one at a time and beat into batter with a fork. Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray and spread batter on to sheet. Bake 20-25 min at 400. Mix cream cheese, pudding and milk. Let it set up a little and spread it onto the cooled baked crust. Spread cool whip on top and drizzle with chocolate topping.

CHOCOLATE SAUCE
3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/3 cup butter
2/3 cup sugar
1- 5oz can (2/3 cup) evaporated milk

Melt chocolate and butter. Add sugar, gradually stir in milk and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and boil for 8 min. Let cool slightly and drizzle onto cake, making it look pretty :)

2 comments:

Kristi Adams said...

I went to a Primary board meeting on Sunday and we had this for dessert!! Recipes must go around really fast in the Mormon community! I wanted to get the recipe but didn't ever find out who made it so I could ask them. It was very delicious!

Carissa Poyfair said...

Hey- I was talking to Kelli about this cake and I want to clarify that this is not actually a cake. It's more like an eclair in the form of a cake. So the bottom crust is like puff pastry almost and then you have the pudding and whip cream on top of that. It's really good!