Friday, July 3, 2009

Strawberry Mousse in Dark Chocolate Cups

Here's my Iron Chef recipe!!! I didn't get a chance to take pictures because they seriously were gone before I could grab the camera, but I totally plan on making this again so I'll get pictures to you later!

I posted a recipe a while back for dark chocolate mousse in white chocolate cups from Giada. Well, I love those so much that I decided to do a strawberry spin on it. These are super easy but they look gorgeous (dark chocolate mini cups with a pink mousse inside!) and they are to-die-for delicious, especially if you love chocolate-covered strawberries.

For the cups:

1 bag semi-sweet chocolate chips
36 mini-muffin cupcake liners

Pour half of the chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring after each interval, until the chocolate chips are melted. Using a small paint brush (I used one from the kids' watercolor set...washed first of course), coat the bottom and sides of the cup. Freeze until the chocolate is firm, about 30 minutes. Melt the remaining chocolate chips in the microwave and paint a second layer of chocolate into each cup (if you hold the cup up to the light you can see what parts of the cup need extra chocolate, pay special attention to the sides because they break easy, put a nice thick layer on). Freeze until completely set, about 1 hour.

For the mousse:

1 cup whipping cream
3 Tbsp sugar
8 oz mascarpone cheese (found near cream cheese), at room temperature
16-18 strawberries, hulled and halved

Using an electric mixer, mix the whipping cream and sugar together until soft peaks form. Set aside.

Place the strawberries in a blender or food processor and puree. Pour strawberries and mascarpone cheese in an electric mixer and beat until just mixed. Using a spatula, fold in the whipped cream. Place mousse in a pastry bag with a large tip, or a plastic freezer bag with the corner cut off, and pipe mousse into each chocolate cup. Place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to set the mousse.

5 comments:

Carissa Poyfair said...

I am totally making these! They sound so yummy. There is something about strawberries and dark chocolate that is delicious!

Celeste Pearson said...

Okay, I am going to actually attempt something gourmet! Or maybe I'll wait for Carissa to make them (hint hint)! These sound a-maz-ing! (But not too amazing, my recipe is going to rock!!). Go Iron Chef girls!

Stina said...

I am very excited to try this. It will definitely make me feel like a gourmet chef! I'll let you know how it turns out!

Also, Kelli & I were talking and thinking maybe we should all judge. I could put a poll on the sidebar. And maybe we could vote on different things--like appearance, taste, etc. Let me know what you think!

Denise said...

Okay, when you said chocolate covered strawberries I knew I was making this recipe! My mouth was watering :) This might be the most gourmet dessert I have ever made!

DJ said...

We need to have a lunch bunch and try these out!