Friday, June 19, 2009

Double Chocolate Banana Bread

This is like banana bread on crack. Really chocolately divine crack! It's so good, you almost think you are eating dessert, but since it's banana bread it's totally kosher for breakfast! Even my kids loved it (for those who don't know, my kids can be pretty picky). It was also really easy. I just stuck the ingredients in the Kitchen Aid and let it do its thing. I doubled the batch for Rix's teacher and bus driver for presents, and it was a piece of cake (no pun intended!). The recipe called for 8x4 inch bread pans, but when I made this the first time in my 8x4 inch pan, the sides burned and curled up, as if it had too much batter. So for the double batch I used two bread pans of my mom's that were a little bigger, and they seemed to work better. About 20 minutes before they were done, I layed foil around the edges of the bread to keep the sides from cooking too fast. Below is a picture of Rix showing off his wrapped bread for his bus driver.
Recipe from sisterscafe.blogspot.com.

1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 1/4 cups mashed bananas (about 3)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup cocoa (I prefer dutch process)
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips

1. Heat oven to 350. Spray bottom of 8x4 inch loaf pan with cooking spray.

2. Beat sugar, eggs, and oil in large bowl at medium speed until combined. Beat in banana and vanilla at low speed. Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl; beat into banana mixture at low speed just until combined. Stir in chocolate chips.

3 Spoon batter into pan. Bake 60-70 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes. Remove from pan; cool completely on wire rack.

7 comments:

Carissa Poyfair said...

This is more like chocolate cake! Thanks for the slice, by the way. It is really yummy!

Kelli said...

I almost made this but didn't have time before we left out of town. You know I LOVE banana bread, I can't wait to give this a try.

Stina said...

Love the pictures!!! And, how did you know I have overripe bananas I don't know what to do with? Crack always sounds good for breakfast! Thanks!

Denise said...

Yum, this sounds so good. I am one ripe banana short! I am craving some good moist chocolate cake...with this one I can think I am somewhat being healthy ;p

Stina said...

I made this today! I had 4 overripe bananas and even though I added an extra one, it turned out great! It looks so moist in the picture, I expected more of a chocolate cake. I was really happy to find the chocolate was not overpowering.

And, I used a trick from my mother-in-law. I baked it at 250 for 2 hours. No problems at all!

Thanks, Celeste!

Celeste Pearson said...

Thanks Stina for the baking advice. Mine burned a little bit on the outside, so I'm totally trying the 250 for 2 hours method next time! And I used like 3 1/2 bananas, I think the more the better!

Celeste Pearson said...

FYI - Stina's 250 for 2 hours method works a lot better! Just make sure you let it cool a while before removing it!!