Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Pizza Bomb (Calzone)


This is from the ward cookbook I put together in 2004. My friend in the ward just told me she makes these all the time. So, I gave them a try and they are super yummy and very easy. I just happened to have all the ingredients on hand and threw it together.

Dough:
1 1/3 cup warm water
2 tsp active dry yeast
2 tsp salt
1/4 cup oil
4 cups flour

Place warm water in a bowl with yeast. Stir. Allow to sit for 2 minutes until yeast is softened. Place flour, salt, and oil in mixing bowl and stir for 10 seconds. Add water and yeast mixture. Beat until combined. Add more flour if it seems a little wet. Remove from bowl and knead for 2 minutes. Place in oiled bowl and allow to rise in warm place for 30 minutes. Cut dough into 8 equal pieces. Roll out each eighth into a circle.

Filling:
1 lb (about 2 cups) Ricotta cheese or cottage cheese
2 cups grated cheese (mozzarella or romano)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 to 1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 cup fresh parsley
2 eggs
sausage
pepperoni
onions
pizza toppings you like

Combine in bowl. Mix well. Divide filling into eighths. (I used a heaping ice cream scoop.) Fill center of dough rolled out; fold over as a turnover. Crimp edges well. Brush with oil and bake at 500 for 10-12 minutes. Remove and serve!

6 comments:

Celeste Pearson said...

Aaah, this reminds me of my Papa Murphy's days! These sound like fun, and will make our weekly pizza night a little more exciting! Did you use cottage cheese or ricotta?

Stina said...

I used cottage cheese and pepperoni. Yummy and actually very easy!

Carissa Poyfair said...

I think these sound like a lot of fun to make. And the name sounds cool too :)

Stina said...

I can't resist...Yeah, they're "the bomb!!!"

Celeste Pearson said...

So I made these last night and the dough is soooo good! I probably could have flattened them out more because they got really fluffy, which would have also made a bigger "bomb". And the dough tasted really good and it was really soft. Bryan *ahem* forgot the cottage cheese, so I just used ranch, cheese, and ham and it was really good and easy!

Tia said...

I love these! And I like that they use Cottage Cheese which is much cheaper than Ricotta. Thanks for sharing!