Thursday, July 23, 2009

Mushroom Soup


For a Girl's Night, Kristi, me and the other Pearson's girls went to Zupa's. I had tried my mom's leftover mushroom soup and was excited for a bowl of my own. As I ate it, I thought I could make it myself. And today, I did. The result was excellent and my kids loved it. Austin's only complaint--not enough mushrooms!!

I have to admit, I based my recipe off Kelli's Corn Chowder.

Mushroom Soup

1 stick butter
1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 pkg mushrooms rinsed & drained

Melt butter in soup pot. Add onion, garlic & mushroom and simmer until mushrooms are cooked.

Add 1/2 cup flour to create a roux.

Add 3 cups chicken stock.

Bring to a boil.

Add 2 cups milk.

Heat until thickened.

Remove from stove and add 1/2 to 1 sticks butter before serving.

Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. (You can also add directly to soup. Maybe 1/2 cup?)

Serve with homemade bread, my bread sticks, or French bread. Maybe even a bread bowl! YUM!

3 comments:

Carissa Poyfair said...

Look at you, you little cook! How awesome that you made your own version of a soup! I don't like mushrooms, but Adam does so maybe I'll be a nice wife and make this for him sometime.

Denise said...

Impressive thinking! I can't wait to try this.

Kristi Adams said...

Christina, this was AMAZING! I think you seriously nailed it. I shared the jar-full that you gave me with DJ for lunch the other day and I wished that I hadn't cuz I was really sad when it was gone! You have definitely made me a believer in mushroom soup!