Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Homemade Chicken Tortillas

Just in time for Cinco de Mayo! This recipe is actually two in one. The first recipe is the homemade tortillas and the second is the crockpot chicken recipe. I got these from a new food blog I came across, Barefoot and Baking. She is fairly new and makes a lot of yummy things. The tortilla recipe is actually a family recipe and the chicken is so easy it should be a crime! I will put in my notes in parentheses.

Tortillas
4 cups flour
2 tsp salt
1/2 cup Crisco shortening
1 1/2 cups lukewarm water (this depends on the humidity of where you live, so start with a little less and add until the dough cleans the bowl but isn't sticky, like playdoh consistancy, and shouldn't break at the edges when kneading it. I used a little over 1 1/4 cups.)

Mix flour and salt together then cut in Crisco. (At this point I added the mixture to my Kitchenaid). Add water (with dough hook). Knead until it is smooth and fully combined, about 50 times (or until dough cleans the bowl). Break into 16 balls (I broke in half, then half again, then into quarters). Roll into balls and put in a covered bowl for about an hour. Roll into desired thickness (I found the thinner I rolled them, the better they cooked up later). Let rest for at least 10 minutes (I rolled mine with a little flour on each side or they stuck to the table and then just laid them all on top of each other. The flour kept them separated). Cook in a skillet (cast iron apparently is best but I don't have that) until bubbles form, about 30 seconds, then flip. If bubbles don't form, let your dough rest a little longer. (Your tortillas should have a few bubbles come up and when you flip it you will see brown spots like on store bought ones). Place tortillas in a pan with a lid to keep warm and soft. If you are going to refrigerate or freeze them, put them in a plastic bag and leave open until they are cooled completely or the condensation will make them mushy.
(**I know this looks like a lot, but it was a lot like making bread and it was surprisingly yummy. The tortillas tasted homemade and authentic to me)

Crockpot Chicken (for burritos or tacos)
3-4 frozen chicken breasts
one can red enchilada sauce
one can petite diced tomatoes, undrained
1/2 cup dark brown sugar (I used light brown)
garlic salt to taste

Combine enchilada sauce, tomatoes and brown sugar in a bowl. Pour over chicken in a crock pot. Cook on high 4-6 hours. If your chicken is thawed, cook a little less. Shred chicken and add garlic salt to taste. When you shred the chicken it will absorb a lot of the juices, but you will still want to use a slotted spoon or tongs to get the chicken. It is really yummy.

Serve with all the fixins: carmelized onion, lettuce, cheese, tomatoes, olives, black beans, sour cream, guacamole, etc.

You can make just the chicken and use store bought tortillas, but if you ever have the chance to try and make your own, you should do it! It was a little time consuming, but no more than making bread or cinnamon rolls or anything. Hey, if I can do it, you can do it! Good luck!

7 comments:

Celeste Pearson said...

Mmmm - these sound great, although I'm not sure how you'd know how an "authentic" tortilla tastes :) I'll give this a try, but I may wait until you are here to try it! And the chicken part is already on my menu for next week - it sounds yummy and EASY!!!

Denise said...

Wow, I do not know if I dare make my own tortillas! It would be fun to make for Cinco De Mayo. I love how easy the chicken sounds!!

Kelli said...

I had some of Carissa's leftovers. I love the chicken. I'd definately try the tortillas, I really liked them, but if you're short on time you could use store bought.

Celeste Pearson said...

I made the chicken part tonight (sorry I didn't try the tortillas!) and it was really good! Both Bryan and Dave loved it, and I upped the chicken to 5 breasts to feed us all (I kept the other ingredients the same amount) and it made a TON! So yummy and easy! It tasted great with Stina's beans :)

Kristi Adams said...

There is nothing better than homemade tortillas! Thanks for the recipe!

Stina said...

I was wanting a different recipe/variety of chicken enchiladas. Someday I will definitely make my own tortillas (dang you Betty Crockers out there!!), but I'm waiting for my life to slow down a little. Until then, will the frozen Sam's ones do?

Kristi Adams said...

I made this the other day, tortillas and all, and I LOVED it! The chicken was so yummy and the tortillas were very easy and soooo good! It even made enough for two meals worth. I don't think I will ever buy tortillas again! Thanks for the recipe!