Monday, April 13, 2009

Boston Cream Pie

I made this for the sister missionaries when we had them over for dinner and it was delicious. They even asked for the recipe so they could make it themselves. It is way easy and pretty cheap too. Of course, it is from the kraftfoods.com website, which I love!

Boston Cream Pie

1 pkg. (3.4 oz.) JELL-O Vanilla Flavor Instant Pudding
1 cup cold milk
1-1/2 cups thawed COOL WHIP Whipped Topping
1 round yellow cake layer (8 or 9 inch)
1 square BAKER'S Unsweetened Chocolate
1 Tbsp. butter
3/4 cup powdered sugar
2 Tbsp. cold milk

Beat pudding mix and 1 cup milk with whisk for 2 minutes. Stir in Cool Whip. Let stand 5 minutes. Meanwhile, cut cake horizontally into 2 layers with serrated knife. (*Note: A standard cake mix makes 2 yellow cake rounds. You can freeze one by wrapping it in saran wrap then foil for up to a month. Just defrost and serve as you like. My 2 rounds ended up really round on top, so I cut both of them in half horizontally and used the bottoms of both cakes for the 2 layers in this cake. My kids loved eating the top halves!).

Stack cake layers on serving plate, spreading pudding mixture between layers. Microwave chocolate and butter on HIGH 1 min.; stir until chocolate is melted. Add sugar and 2 Tbsp. milk; mix well. Spread over cake. Refrigerate 1 hour.

6 comments:

Stina said...

Oh! I am so making this!

Celeste Pearson said...

This is the cake I made for my mom's birthday! It is really good and so easy. And another option instead of freezing the other layer would be to make a double batch and bring it to a neighbor!

Kristi Adams said...

I've never had Boston cream pie but this looks so good and easy. Can't wait to try it!!

Stina said...

I made this today--and I think I am two-layer handicapped. Every time I try, it turns out lopsided and the frosting never looks the same. But, I'm determined to get it right! I think having a hand mixer will help with the pudding...

Celeste Pearson said...

Don't worry Stina - we can be in the two-layer special olympics together! You can't really tell because I took the picture at an awesome angle, but my dad's coconut-lime cake on my blog is totally lopsided. We should take a cake class together - when we move to Utah of course :)

Denise said...

This cake looks so good and fun to make. I know my cake will not turn out so pretty. You could call me two-layer handicap as well Stina! As long as it taste good who cares ;p